Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game
GARY, IN - The St. Paul Saints faced the league leader in wins in a resumed game from Friday night. Daniel Minor pitched 1.0 shutout inning on Friday night before the rain came and then continued the game on Saturday night. The Saints couldn't figure out the Gary SouthShore Railcats right-hander as he stymied them for 7.0 innings and the Saints lost 3-0 at the U.S. Steel Yard.
Minor retired the first nine men he faced before a leadoff single by Max Murphy in the fourth. Murphy advanced to second on a groundout by Burt Reynolds, but that was as far as Murphy would get.
The best opportunity the Saints had against Minor came in the seventh when Brady Shoemaker walked with one out and Zach Walters singled him to second. Dante Bichette Jr. would foul out and Matt Snyder grounded out to first to end the inning. Minor went 7.0 shutout innings allowing three hits while walking one and striking out six. He picked up his league leading 10th win.
The Saints resumed the game with a different starter, Trevor Foss. He picked up for Chris Nunn, who threw a scoreless first, but the Railcats got to him immediately in the second. Andy Paz reached on a one out single to left. Reggie Wilson walked and Andy DeJesus singled to right loading the bases. Cole Fabio hit a slow roller to short that Anthony Phillips fielded, fired to second for the lead out, but the throw to first wasn't in time allowing Paz to score making it 1-0 Railcats.
In the third Randy Santiesteban doubled with one out. A groundout moved him to third and Tillman Pugh came through with a two-out single to center scoring Santiesteban making it 2-0.
Santiesteban came calling in the eight with a solo shot to left, his fourth of the season. Foss went 7.0 innings allowing three runs on eight hits while walking and striking out four.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4
- Fun with Numbers: Saints Bounce Back to Beat Birds, 11-8
- Nothing Messy About this One as Saints Cruise to 11-4 Victory over Canaries