Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory
WICHITA, Kan. - A go-ahead solo home run from John Nester in the bottom of the eighth inning proved to be the difference, as the Wichita Wingnuts clipped the Cleburne Railroaders 3-1 on Saturday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Cleburne (20-38) had just tied the game 1-1 in the top of the eighth, courtesy of an RBI single from Chase Simpson against Wingnuts reliever Seth Harvey (6-1). But Nester had an immediate response, leading off the bottom of the frame with a long solo homer down the left field line for a 2-1 Wichita lead. The Wingnuts (37-23) added another run in the inning on a two-out bunt single from Logan Watkins, scoring Logan Trowbridge for insurance in the inning.
Daniel Tillman slammed the door in the ninth with a 1-2-3 inning, notching his 15th save of the season.
Starters Travis Banwart and Dylan Mouzakes were excellent, allowing a combined one run as both settled for no-decisions. Banwart fired six scoreless innings, giving him a total of 18 frames against the Railroaders this season with only one run allowed. Mouzakes allowed the lone blemish on Nester's two-out RBI double in the third that gave Wichita a 1-0 advantage. The Cleburne right-hander tossed seven innings on 131 pitches, striking out seven while allowing eight hits.
Will Mathis (0-2) took the loss for Cleburne, allowing two runs while only recording one out.
The Wingnuts wrap up their series with the Railroaders on Sunday afternoon. Casey Harman (6-2, 3.54) will get the ball for Wichita, to be opposed by fellow lefty Michael Gunn (2-2, 2.88) First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.