Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats
GARY, IN - All the hard work the St. Paul Saints did during the first seven games of the roadtrip was stripped away in the matter of 16 innings on Saturday night at the U.S. Steel Yard. After losing the resumed game 3-0, the Saints offense was nowhere to be found in the regularly scheduled seven inning game. They lost 6-1 to the Gary SouthShore Railcats, dropped to 33-27 and now find themselves tied for first with the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks and are just 0.5 game ahead of the Railcats for the second and final playoff spot. The Saints are now 5-4 on their 10-game roadtrip.
With both teams starting relievers the Railcats came out swinging against Ryan Schlosser. Alex Crosby led off the bottom of the first with a single to center. He moved to second on a wild pitch. D.K. Carey then reached on catcher's interference putting runners at first and second. With two outs Ronnie Mitchell tripled home both runners making it 2-0 Railcats. Wilfredo Gimenez followed with an RBI single making it 3-0.
In the second it was more of the same as Garrett Copeland led off with a single to right and moved to second on the fielding error by Max Murphy in right. Will Savage reached on an infield single moving Copeland to third. With one out Carey hit a grounder to third that Bichette Jr. couldn't field allowing a run to score on the error making it 4-0.
Beck Wheeler finished off the second by getting the final two outs, but in the third the Railcats got to him. Mitchell led off with a single to left-center and Gimenez singled to center putting runners at first and second. Reggie Wilson then tried to sacrifice both runners over and laid down a bunt to third. The first baseman Nathaniel Maggio also charged and that left first base vacant and Wilson reached on the bunt single to load the bases. Wheeler then walked Copeland to force in a run to make it 5-0. After a strikeout Crosby's sacrifice fly made it 6-0.
The Saints lone run came in the sixth as Brady Shoemaker walked. Zach Walters collected his second double of the night moving Shoemaker to third. Dante Bichette' Jr's groundout scored Shoemaker.
The same two teams meet in the finale of the three-game series on Sunday afternoon at 2:10 p.m. The Saints send RHP Matt Solter (1-4, 4.58) to the mound while the Railcats are TBA. The game can be heard on Alt 93.3 FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Fall in Final Game of Homestand to RedHawks 8-4
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4
- Fun with Numbers: Saints Bounce Back to Beat Birds, 11-8
- Nothing Messy About this One as Saints Cruise to 11-4 Victory over Canaries