Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - Stewart Ijames went deep three times Friday at T-Bones Stadium, picking up six RBIs as the AirHogs downed the T-Bones 11-9 in ten innings.
Ijames went deep in the first to put the AirHogs up 3-0 vs. Kansas City starter Barrett Astin. The T-Bones tagged Texas starter Meng Weiqiang for six runs in two-plus frames though, driving him from the contest in the third after erasing the early lead and building a 5-3 advantage.
Trailing 7-6 in the eighth, the AirHogs rallied, tying the game on an RBI single by Correlle Prime before Ijames launched his second homer of the evening to make it 9-7.
The T-Bones got to Taylor Wright for a pair of unearned runs after two AirHog errors in the eighth to equalize the game. But Wright turned around in the ninth well, leaving the potential winning run on second to set up a dramatic tenth.
After Dillon Thomas, who finished with three RBIs on two doubles, reached via error to start the frame, Ijames blasted off again to right field, sneaking a liner over the wall vs. Cody Winiarski to give Texas an 11-9 lead. Carlos Contreras earned his eighth save of the year after working around a two-on, one-out jam with the help of a 6-4-3 double play turned by Yang Jin, Casio Grider and Chu Fujia.
The 11 runs were a season-high for the AirHogs. Wright (2-1) picked up the win. Winiarski (1-1) suffered the loss after allowing the go-ahead homer to Ijames. Thomas, Ijames and Prime combined to knock in 10 runs. The T-Bones were led by Dylan Tice, who finished with three hits. Colin Walsh finished with a home run and four RBIs. The three-homer game was the first of Ijames' long pro career.
Texas (17-41) take on the T-Bones (37-21) again tomorrow at 7:05. LHP Tyler Matzek (2-6, 6.59 ERA) is expected to start for Texas vs. RHP Tommy Collier (5-3, 3.91 ERA) for Kansas City. A live broadcast of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The Texas AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will return home July 31 to take on Gary SouthShore. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs. Media inquiries: email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.