Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0
The Kansas City T-Bones (38-21) fried the Texas AirHogs (17-42) with a exciting walk-off win in extra innings on Saturday night in Kansas City. After an offensive onslaught on Friday night, the bats failed to come alive for both Kansas City and Texas as they combined for seven hits and one run in eleven innings.
Tommy Collier (5-3) took the mound for Kansas City, putting the T-Bones in excellent position to steal a game against the AirHogs. Collier pitched eight and two thirds scoreless innings allowing two hits. On a night when Collier was nearly unhittable, Texas' starting pitcher Tyler Matzek was even better allowing one hit, taking a no-hitter to the eighth inning.
Despite a stellar game by Collier, Marcus Crescentini (3-0) is credited as the winning pitcher for the T-Bones, allowing one hit in one inning pitched. After pitching eight scoreless innings Matzek gets the no decision. Yang Yanyong (0-4) pitched one third innings allowing one run on two hits and is credited as the losing pitcher.
The T-Bones put the pressure on the AirHogs in the eighth inning when Keith Curcio sharply hit a ball to right center field for a stand-up double. With Curcio threatening to score from second, Tucker Pennell hit a ball down the third base line that bounced off the glove of Casio Grider. As Curcio rounded third he slipped forcing a 5-6 put out for the final out halting the once-promising inning for Kansas City.
In the bottom of the eleventh, Pennell struck a ball up the middle for a lead-off single to start the scoring threat for Kansas City. Pennell quickly advanced to second, after a perfectly positioned bunt by Dylan Tice. Two walks to Todd Cunningham and Colin Walsh loaded the bases for the T-Bones, setting the stage for Taylor Featherston who delivered a walk-off single to score Pennell from third. The T-Bones won in eleven innings by a 1-0 final score.
The T-Bones improve to 38-21 after winning the longest inning game at home of the season. With the win, Kansas City still finds themselves five games back of the first-place Sioux City Explorers who have a league-best 42-15 record. The Texas AirHogs fell to a South Division worst 17-42 on the season falling to 26 games behind first place. Kansas City and Texas will play a rubber match Sunday July 22 at 1:05 p.m. to complete a three game-series in Kansas City.
Season, group, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at 913-328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday.
Images from this story
Kansas City T-Bones celebrate a walk-off win
(Jamie Dierking / T-Bones)
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.