Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer
WICHITA, Kansas - Chase Simpson reached four different times with a game-tying RBI single in the 8th, but a late homer downed Cleburne in a 3-1 loss to the Wichita Wingnuts at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium on Saturday night.
Simpson tied the game with a one-out single in the 8th inning after Trevor Sealey led off the frame with a single and reached second on a sacrifice hit.
Will Mathis came on for the bottom of the 8th and gave up a leadoff homer to John Nester - the first homer of the series - and later allowed a second run after Logan Trowbridge doubled and eventually scored on Logan Watkins's RBI bunt single.
Simpson has now reached 15 times over his last four games and 11 times in the series, and Cleburne's midseason acquisition officially went 2-for-2 with two singles, a walk and a hit-by-pitch.
Wichita opened the scoring in the 3rd inning when John Nester doubled home Zach Nehrir for the only run that Cleburne starter Dylan Mouzakes surrendered over seven innings of work.
Mathis recorded just one out and gave up the two runs on a pair of hits, and Shawn Blackwell gave up one hit but recorded the final two outs of the Wichita 8th inning.
Angel Rosa went 1-for-3 with a double while Sealey went 1-for-4 with a run scored. Cam Monger also went 1-for-4 while Angelo Gumbs singled in his second consecutive start since his return from the inactive list on Friday night.
Wichita starter Travis Banwart turned in six scoreless frames and closer Daniel Tillman notched his 15th save of the season with a 1-2-3 9th inning.
The Railroaders play their last-ever game at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium and wrap up the four-game set on Sunday afternoon. First pitch time is 1:05 p.m. and LHP Michael Gunn will go head-to-head with LHP Casey Harman.
Cleburne returns home on July 27th with a doubleheader against the Gary SouthShore RailCats. Tickets and all promo info are available at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 21, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Fall in 11 After Matzek Twirls One-Hit Gem - Texas AirHogs
- Saints Bats Silenced Again in 6-1 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Nester's Blast Gives Wingnuts Late Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Kansas City Fries the Pigs in Extras, 1-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish out of Water: Jacobs' Grand Slam Secures RedHawks' Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Doomed by Late Homer - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Sweep Twin Bill against Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jacobs Grand Slam the Difference at Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Minor Problem: Saints Blanked by RailCats 3-0 in July 20 Resumed Game - St. Paul Saints
- X's Hold on to Take First Game of Series from Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Bats Stay Hot in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Return Home with a Thud - Kansas City T-Bones
- Three Homer Game by Ijames Powers Extra Inning Win - Texas AirHogs
- Three Home Runs Not Enough in Canaries Loss to Chicago - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Big Fifth Inning Too Much for Saltdogs to Overcome in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Solomon & Gonzalez Combine to Keep 'Hawks Undefeated against Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.