Cyclones Tripped up in Toledo
Toledo, OH- The Cincinnati Cyclones (38-17-7-1) saw their five-game winning streak come to an end with a 5-3 loss to the Toledo Walleye on Wednesday night. Forwards Mason Mitchell, Pascal Aquin, and Justin Vaive scored the goals for Cincinnati.
Cincinnati drew first blood 4:18 into the opening period when forward Nate Mitton sent a pass to Mitchell from below the goal line, and he stuffed a shot into the net to put the Cyclones up, 1-0. That lead became 2-0 with 1:27 left in the first when Aquin snapped in a shot from the left side following a Cyclones faceoff win, putting Cincinnati up by a pair through 20 minutes.
The Walleye turned things in the second, exploding for three goals in the first 2:29 of the frame from forward Josh Winquist, and defensemenKevin Spinozzi and Brendan Kotyk to take a 3-2 lead after the second.
In the third, Toledo extended their lead to 4-2, 12:15 into the frame, when forward Josh Kestner scored his 33rdgoal of the season.
The Cyclones pulled back to within a goal with less than four minutes left when Vaive took blasted in a shot while on the power play to cut the deficit to 4-3. The Cyclones had a few more quality scoring chances throughout the remainder of the third, however Toledo sealed the win with 35 seconds left when Kotyk scored his second of the game into the empty net to head to the 5-3 win.
Cincinnati outshot Toledo, 29-20, with goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen stopping 14 in the loss. The Cyclones head to Wheeling on Friday night to battle the Nailers. Face-off is set for 7:05pm ET.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones are looking to build off of last season's success, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 11, 2020
- Cyclones Tripped up in Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Ground Cyclones with Three Quick Second-Period Goals - Toledo Walleye
- Special Teams Pushes Komets Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Windsor, Orlando Skate Past Stingrays, 3-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Fall 1-0 to Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- Watson Power Play Goal Lifts Indy over Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Ink Defenseman Carl Neill to ATO - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 11 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Sign Forward Matt Hoover - Utah Grizzlies
- Walleye to Play Tonight with Restricted Attendance - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings and Wings Event Center Issue Statement Regarding Upcoming Events - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wolf Pack Add Two Forwards to Roster - Maine Mariners
- Mariners Celebrate Beacon's Birthday Saturday - Maine Mariners
- Worcester Railers HC Sign James Anderson and Michael Gillespie to ECHL Contracts - Worcester Railers HC
- Walleye Weekly: Playoff Tickets on Sale Today - Toledo Walleye
- Soderlund and McLaughlin Assigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.