Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando
CINCINNATI CYCLONES (20-12-2-0)
ORLANDO SOLAR BEARS (15-17-2-2)
DATE: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
TIME: 7:30pm ET
SITE: U.S. Bank Arena - Cincinnati, OH
WEBCAST: CyclonesHockey.com (America One)
Cincinnati Cyclones: Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators
Orlando Solar Bears: Minnesota Wild
NEXT HOME GAME (After Tonight)
Friday, January 11 vs. Fort Wayne Komets - 7:30pm
CYCLONES WINTER HAT NIGHT
TONIGHT'S MATCHUP: For the first time since March 4, 2001, the Cyclones will square off against the Orlando Solar Bears in a regular season game as they welcome them to downtown Cincinnati for the only time during the 2012-13 regular season. As old IHL foes, the Cyclones earned a combined record of 19-23-4 against Orlando (not including playoffs). Incidentally, the Clones were eliminated from the 2001 Turner Cup Playoffs by the Solar Bears in a five game series.
TONIGHT'S PROMOTION: Wet Wednesday / Best of the '90's Night: Fans 21+ can enjoy $1 PBR and Miller High Life. We'll dial back the clock with music from the decade and award a CASH prize to the best 90's outfit!
SCOUTING THE SOLAR BEARS: Under first-year Head Coach Drake Berehowsky, the Solar Bears have stumbled to a 15-17-2-2 record and currently pull up the rear in the South Division standings. The Bears, who have registered the second-fewest goals per game of any team in the Eastern Conference, are led offensively by former Cyclone Matt Sisca. The second-year pro has earned 27 points (8 goals, 19 assists) in 36 games. Michael Wilson in close on his heels with 23 tallies (2 goals, 21 assists) in 36 contests - his helper totals rank ninth in the ECHL. Former Cyclone Mike Liambas is far-and-away the biggest penally minute-getter for the Solar Bears, amassing 130 this season. It has been a carousel of goalies for Orlando this season. Former Pittsburgh Penguins goalie John Curry has seen the bulk of the action in 2012-13 - collecting a 13-8-2 mark with a 2.72 goals-against average. Former first round pick Hannu Toivonen has also seen action recently for Orlando, going 2-5-0 with a 3.46 GAA in nine appearances thus far.
Fantastic When Scoring Four: When Cincinnati has been able to eclipse the four-goal plateau, they've been nearly unbeatable - going 12-1-0 this season in such situations. Their last three wins have come when they've lit the lamp four time or more.
Shutting Down the Shots: One of the Cyclones strongest statistical areas this season has been the shots-allowed. Coming into tonight, Cincinnati is allowing an average of 28.9 shots per game - the seventh fewest in the ECHL. Not surprisingly, the team defense has excelled as a result - allowing the fifth-fewest average goals in the league (2.79).
SEASON SERIES (2 TOTAL, 2 REMAINING)
Jan. 9 Orlando at Cincinnati 7:30pm EST
Mar. 24 Cincinnati at Orlando 3:00pm EDT
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2013
- Salters Scores Twice as Everblades Sink Walleye 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Shut Down 4-0 by Cincinnati - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hetenyi's 28 Saves Backstop Cyclones to 4-0 Win over Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Kalamazoo Winning Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss to Reading Royals - Kalamazoo Wings
- Lamoureux and Carlson Fill Reign Roster Spots - Ontario Reign
- Trenton Titans Week in Review - Trenton Titans
- Grizzlies Host Las Vegas Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Acquire Rights to D T.J. Fast from Greenville for Cohen - Bakersfield Condors
- Lampe, Lunden Head to AHL - Las Vegas Wranglers
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- Reign's Carrozzi Recalled to IceCaps - Ontario Reign
- Spencer Bennett, Jesse Dudas Added to Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Get Your Drink on at the SF Bulls Game this Thursday - San Francisco Bulls
- Courtnall and McNeely Called up to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mara Joins Couture in Houston - Ontario Reign
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo vs Reading - Kalamazoo Wings
- Center Ryan Green, Thunder Agree to Terms - Stockton Thunder
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- LoVerde Answers the Monarchs Call - Ontario Reign
- Toledo Adds Three to Roster - Toledo Walleye
- Forwards Alex Berry and Matt Pope Loaned by Hershey to Reading - Reading Royals
- Tam and Tarasov Recalled by Worcester; Lessard Re-Joins Bulls, Tolles Signed - San Francisco Bulls
- Thunder Acquires Rights to D Colten Hayes - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Receive Forward Phil Mangan from Stockton - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones Tonight - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Add Two Former Broncos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Yogan Reassigned to Connecticut - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Today - January 9 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.