Kalamazoo Winning Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss to Reading Royals
Kalamazoo, MI - Three goals in a span of 11 minutes in the first period doomed the Kalamazoo Wings (15-17-2-1), as the K-Wings lost 4-1 Wednesday night at Wings Stadium to the top team in the Eastern Conference, the Reading Royals (26-8-1-1).
Alex Berry (5th) gave the Royals the early lead with a hard wrister from the slot that beat K-Wings goaltender Joel Martin just 3:27 into the contest.
Scoring in similar fashion, Ethan Cox (4th) found room above the crease after a give-and-go with Kirk MacDonald midway in the period.
Just 42 seconds later, it was 3-0 Reading when David Marshall (10th) scored right off the draw after he took a pass from Yannick Tifu. Tifu's assist was his second of the period.
Registering for their lone goal in the infant stages of the third period, Tyler Shelast (3rd) put the K-Wings on the board with a one-timer that was setup by Alexandre Grenier, who was making his season-debut for Kalamazoo.
Kirk MacDonald (12th) reclaimed the three-goal cushion for the Royals late in regulation, when his slap shot went over the glove hand of Martin and caromed off the elbow of the crossbar and into the net.
Kalamazoo will head down south to play a pair of games against the South Division leaders, the Gwinnett Gladiators staring this Saturday, January 12th with a 7:05 p.m. start time from the Arena at Gwinnett Center.
The K-Wings will return to Wings Stadium next Wednesday, January 16th with a 7 p.m. face-off versus the Elmira Jackals during Kibbles and Sticks Night, where fans can bring their dog to the game, presented by Adams Outdoors and COOL 101 FM.
Single-game tickets for the 2012-2013 season are on sale at the Wings Stadium Ticket Office. Ticket Office hours are Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday's. To charge tickets by phone, please call Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000.
Tickets for all K-Wings home games are $13 and $17.50 for adults and only $7 for kids ages 14 and under. The price for all K-Wings premium night games (all colored ice games and New Year's Eve game) are just $1 more.
Fans can save money by purchasing K-Wings single-game tickets in advance because tickets purchased on the day of a game increase by $2 (adults only).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2013
- Salters Scores Twice as Everblades Sink Walleye 4-1 - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Shut Down 4-0 by Cincinnati - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hetenyi's 28 Saves Backstop Cyclones to 4-0 Win over Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Kalamazoo Winning Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss to Reading Royals - Kalamazoo Wings
- Lamoureux and Carlson Fill Reign Roster Spots - Ontario Reign
- Trenton Titans Week in Review - Trenton Titans
- Grizzlies Host Las Vegas Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Acquire Rights to D T.J. Fast from Greenville for Cohen - Bakersfield Condors
- Lampe, Lunden Head to AHL - Las Vegas Wranglers
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- Reign's Carrozzi Recalled to IceCaps - Ontario Reign
- Spencer Bennett, Jesse Dudas Added to Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Get Your Drink on at the SF Bulls Game this Thursday - San Francisco Bulls
- Courtnall and McNeely Called up to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mara Joins Couture in Houston - Ontario Reign
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo vs Reading - Kalamazoo Wings
- Center Ryan Green, Thunder Agree to Terms - Stockton Thunder
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- LoVerde Answers the Monarchs Call - Ontario Reign
- Toledo Adds Three to Roster - Toledo Walleye
- Forwards Alex Berry and Matt Pope Loaned by Hershey to Reading - Reading Royals
- Tam and Tarasov Recalled by Worcester; Lessard Re-Joins Bulls, Tolles Signed - San Francisco Bulls
- Thunder Acquires Rights to D Colten Hayes - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Receive Forward Phil Mangan from Stockton - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones Tonight - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Add Two Former Broncos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Yogan Reassigned to Connecticut - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Today - January 9 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.