Curve Hold Onto Early Lead in One-Run Win over Baysox
CURVE, Pa. - Pedro Vasquez and two relievers held onto an early lead and pitched the Altoona Curve to a 3-2 win over the Bowie Baysox on Tuesday at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
The Curve (16-15) jumped on Baysox (8-24) starter Zac Lowther (Loss, 2-3) to take a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning. Mitchell Tolman blooped a two-out single into left and Jason Delay brought him home with an RBI double to right-center. Delay, who extended his hitting streak to four games, collected two hits on the night to give him 13 in his last seven games.
Logan Hill extended the lead to 3-0 in the third with an RBI single to left scoring Jared Oliva, who reached on a error to start the inning, and Bralin Jackson, who got on with his first of two hits on the night. Hill's pair of RBIs give him 16 on the season, tying him for ninth-most in the Eastern League.
In the fourth, Vasquez (Win, 3-0) served up a two-run homer to left to Carlos Perez to bring the Baysox within one run at 3-2. Then with runners at first and second and two outs in the sixth, Martin Cervenka lined a single to center off Vasquez, but Oliva threw out Rylan Bannon at the plate to preserve the one-run lead.
Vasquez completed six innings for the second time this season and earned his second quality start. The right-hander allowed two runs on six hits with two strikeouts and one walk before giving way to the bullpen. His counterpart Lowther gave up three runs (two earned) on seven hits in six innings, while striking out four batters and walking one.
Blake Weiman took over for Vasquez in the seventh and tossed two scoreless frames and allowed only one hit. Matt Eckelman (Save, 5) came on for the ninth and worked around a one-out walk to finish off the Baysox in the one-run win. Eckelman has converted 13 straight save opportunities dating back to August 3 of last season.
The Curve and Baysox will play the finale of their three-game series on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. Left-hander Sean Brady (0-2, 9.64), who signed with the Pirates organization earlier in the week, will make his team debut. He'll be opposed by Baysox right-hander Alex Wells (1-1, 2.87).
Wednesday is the third and final Education Day game presented by Subway. It's also a Guaranteed WINsday presented by the Altoona Mirror, so if the Curve win, receive a free ticket of equal or lesser value to any Wednesday home game in 2019. Wing Wednesday featuring 50-cent boneless wings caps off the day.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 7, 2019
- Kay's Domination Powers Ponies Past Senators - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Yard Goats take first meeting with 3-2 win in 10 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Dalbec with the Game-Winner, 'Dogs Win 4-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Late Rally Leads 8-3 Win in Richmond - Trenton Thunder
- Tully's Strong Start not Enough against Erie - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Come Back in Win in Extras 3-2 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Perez Homers But Baysox Get Clipped in Altoona - Bowie Baysox
- Another Day, Another Shutout as Erie Takes Game One from Akron, 2-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Sterling is Sharp, but Sens Fall 3-1 to Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Hold Onto Early Lead in One-Run Win over Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Top Pitching Prospect Nate Pearson Added to Fisher Cats Roster - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Homestand Preview #3: Happy Mother's Day - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Reveal Details for All-Star Week Events - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #27 - Rumble Ponies (16-10) at Harrisburg Senators (23-6) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 7th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg's Wiseman Named April Player of the Month - EL
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Curve Fest Slated for March 7 at PNG Field
- Curve Extend Partnership with Flagship Radio Station
- New Coaching Staff to Lead the Curve in 2020
- Curve to Hold National Anthem Tryouts for 2020 Season
- Altoona Curve Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball