Yard Goats Come Back in Win in Extras 3-2
Reading, PA - The Hartford Yard Goats came from behind to defeat the Reading Fightin Phils by the score of 3-2 in 10 innings on Tuesday night at FirstEnergy Stadium in Reading, Pennsylvania. Vance Vizcaino cracked a double down the right field line in the 10th innings scoring Bret Boswell from second base to lift Hartford its season-high fourth straight win. The Yard Goats were down 2-0 in the sixth, but rallied with a double from Tyler Nevin and two out single by Vince Fernandez. It is the Yard Goats second extra inning win on the road trip as the beat New Hampshire in 11 innings on Saturday.
Yard Goats starter Ashton Goudeau extended his scoreless inning streak to a franchise record 26 innings before surrendering a two-run homer to Cornelius Randolph in the fourth inning. The right-hander recorded a season-high nine strikeouts before handing things over to the bullpen which was outstanding again and hurled four scoreless frames. Ben Bowden recorded his Eastern League leading 10th save in his 10th opportunity.
Reading loaded the bases with one out against Goudeau in the first inning on a single, walk and hit batter. However, the righty struck out Darick Hall and got Randolph to ground out to end the threat. Fightins starter David Parkinson was impressive and only allowed two hits over the first four innings.
The Fightins took a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning on Cornelius Randolph's two-run homer. Austin Listi led off the inning with a walk. After Goudeau struck out Hall but Randolph followed with a home run into the left field picnic seats, giving Reading a 2-0 lead. It was Randolph's fourth homer of the season and ended Goudeau's consecutive inning scoreless streak at 26, a franchise record.
The Yard Goats tied the game at 2-2 with a pair of runs in the sixth inning off starter David Parkinson. Tyler Nevin doubled home Manny Melendez to make it a 2-1 game. Next, Vince Fernandez ripped a two-out single to centerfield scoring Nevin and tied the game at 2-2. It stayed 2-2 until Vance Vizcaino cracked an RBI double in the 10th inning to give Hartford its first lead.
The Yard Goats continue a three game series in Reading, Pennsylvania on Wednesday with a noon start against the Phillies affiliate. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
May 7, 2019
Final: 10 innings: Hartford Yard Goats 3, Reading Fightin Phils 2
WP: Logan Cozart (2-0)
LP: Addison Russ (0-3)
SV: Ben Bowden (10)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 7, 2019
- Kay's Domination Powers Ponies Past Senators - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Yard Goats take first meeting with 3-2 win in 10 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Dalbec with the Game-Winner, 'Dogs Win 4-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Late Rally Leads 8-3 Win in Richmond - Trenton Thunder
- Tully's Strong Start not Enough against Erie - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Come Back in Win in Extras 3-2 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Perez Homers But Baysox Get Clipped in Altoona - Bowie Baysox
- Another Day, Another Shutout as Erie Takes Game One from Akron, 2-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Sterling is Sharp, but Sens Fall 3-1 to Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Hold Onto Early Lead in One-Run Win over Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Top Pitching Prospect Nate Pearson Added to Fisher Cats Roster - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Homestand Preview #3: Happy Mother's Day - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Reveal Details for All-Star Week Events - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #27 - Rumble Ponies (16-10) at Harrisburg Senators (23-6) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 7th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg's Wiseman Named April Player of the Month - EL
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.