Condors Top $3 million mark in cash, goods and services
Bakersfield Calif. - Only two months into the 2008-09 season, the Bakersfield Condors, ECHL affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks, have held three collection nights bringing in 7,614 stuffed animals, 1,300 coats, and 380 toys, a charity golf tournament that raised more than $10,000 and a jersey auction that brought in over $23,000. With those events, the Condors have now donated more than $3 million in cash, goods and services to deserving non-profit organizations and local school children during the team's 11-year history.
"We are in a unique position were we can combine family fun and entertainment with a greater sense of purpose and charity," said Condors President Matthew Riley. "That our organization, with our fans behind us, has now hit the 3 million dollars mark in donations to enhance the quality of life in our community and give to those in need is an amazing feat and a credit to this great community we live in."
The fur flew in record-breaking form:
It was a record-breaking Saturday for the Condors, as 8,929 fans, the second most in Condors history, packed The Nest for the 10th annual Teddy Bear Toss. When the Condors scored their first goal of the night, a flood of fur began raining onto the ice. It took more than 50 volunteers just 10 minutes to remove all the bears from the ice. Overall, Condors fans threw a record 7,614 bears onto the ice for local less-fortunate children. The United Way of Kern County distributed the bears to over two dozen organizations to find children for the bears to comfort.
This Week in Condorstown:
Thursday, Dec. 4: Condors mascot Colonel Claw'd and Community Relations Manager Brian Marsh will be at the Ronald McDonald Room at Memorial Hospital at 11 a.m. to present a check to Ronald McDonald Charities for $23,325, the amount raised at the Jersey Off Our Backs Auction held by the Condors on Nov. 8.
Thursday, Dec. 4: The Condors Coach's Show will air on ESPN Radio 1230 from 5 to 6 p.m. from Alaska as the team is on the road. The Coach's Show will feature Condors players and Head Coach Marty Raymond, and is hosted by the "Voice of the Condors," Kevin Bartl.
Saturday, Dec. 6: Condors mascot Colonel Claw'd will attend the Bakersfield Chess Club Tournament at the Clarion Hotel, located at 3540 Rosedale Hwy at 11 a.m. The Colonel, who may or may not be a chess master, will be on hand to congratulate contestants and entertain the crowd.
Monday, Dec. 8: The "Voice of the Condors," Kevin Bartl, will appear on "There It Is! The Jake Stevens Show" at 7:45 a.m. on ESPN Radio 1230. Bartl joins the show live every Monday to discuss everything Condors hockey. "There It Is!" airs Monday - Friday from 7 to 9 a.m.
Notes from The Nest:
Holiday 4-Packs are on sale now and include seats to four Condors weekend home games, starting at just $28, and come in three varieties. Group outings and reservations for the Condors on-ice and VIP suites are now available as well. Stop by the Condors office at 1001 Truxtun Ave. or call 324-PUCK (7825) for remaining seat availability.
The Condors will be hitting the road for a five-game road trip with stops in Alaska, Victoria and Fresno before returning to the Mercy & Memorial Hospitals Home Ice at Rabobank Arena on Dec. 13 for Scooby-Doo and Sing for Santa, presented by Bright House Networks, 101.5 KGFM and Bakersfield Marriott.
Individual game tickets are now on sale and may be purchased through the Rabobank Arena Box Office, which is open from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Saturday with extended hours on game days. Tickets may also be purchased by phone through at 322-2525, online at www.bakersfieldcondors.com, or at any Ticketmaster location
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 1, 2008
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Condors Top $3 million mark in cash, goods and services - Bakersfield Condors
- Grizzlies Head For Idaho; Home December 9 - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Teddy Bear Toss brings in 7,614 stuffed animals, most in Condors history - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Alaska Aces - Ontario Reign
- 8,929 Condors fans donate record 7,614 stuffed animals at Teddy Bear Toss - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads To Retire Mylymok's #4 On Saturday - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Knock Off Alaska, Prepare for Reign, Falcons - Stockton Thunder
- Bombers Weekly News - Dayton Bombers
- Steelheads and Booster Club Host Marine Corps Toys for Tots Toss on Friday - Idaho Steelheads
- Dubuc Assigned to Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lynx Acquire Mark O'Leary - Augusta Lynx
- RoadRunners Acquire Burnett From Trenton - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Everblades Have Record-Setting Week - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Reign Weeklong Toy Drive For Steven's Hope Begins Monday - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Set For December - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Canned Food Drive a Success - Atlanta Gladiators
- Trenton Devils Weekly - Trenton Devils
- Florida Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Weekly Arrowhead - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Mourns Loss Of Official Frank - ECHL
- Sea Wolves Weekly - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Phoenix Continues Series with Las Vegas This Week at Home - Phoenix RoadRunners
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Win Four Straight - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Acquire Fuller from Augusta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Suffer Late Game Loss in Dayton, 4-3 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.