Gladiators Canned Food Drive a Success
The Gwinnett Gladiators annual Thanksgiving food drive was a success weighing in at 1,700 pounds and surpassing last season's total by approxitametly 300 pounds.
The Gladiators and their fans filled eight huge receptacles left by the Salvation Army with cans and non-perishable food items that were placed at the Arena at Gwinnett Center through Thanksgiving night. In addition to the eight receptacles, four shopping carts were filled with excess items that would not fit.
The Gladaitors and Maximus will deliver the four excess shopping carts full of cans and non-perishable food items on Friday, December 5th to the 11-Alive "Holiday Can-A-Thon" at the Bass Pro Shops located in front of the Discover Mills Mall between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Fans who donated a can or a non-perishable food item at the Arena at Gwinnett Center Box office had the opportunity to take advantage of a great ticket deal for the Gladiators Thanksgiving night game on Thursday, November 27th.
Last season, the Gladiators collected 1,500 pounds of food during the Annual Thanksgiving Food Drive. During the first six seasons combined, the team has collected 6,200 pounds of food.
The Gladiators next take the ice on the road Tuesday, December 2nd, at 7:05 p.m. against the South Carolina Stingrays.
Began in 1988-89 with five teams playing in four states, the Premier 'AA' Hockey League has grown into a coast-to-coast league that will have 23 teams in 16 states and British Columbia playing 864 games from Oct. 17, 2008 to Apr. 4, 2009. Eighteen of the 23 teams have played at least five years in their current city.
The third-longest tenured professional hockey league behind only the National Hockey League and the American Hockey League, the ECHL averaged 4,174 per game last season, marking the fourth year in row and the 16th time in the last 18 years that the league has averaged over 4,000 fans. The league has drawn over four million fans each of the last five years and 11 times in the past 12 seasons.
The Gwinnett Gladiators open their sixth season as a proud member of the ECHL in October of 2008 - season ticket packages are on sale now. In addition, the Gladiators offer several unique multi-game ticket packages as well as discounted group rates, suite rentals, and birthday parties. For more information call 770-497-5100 or log on to gwinnettgladiators.com.
The Gladiators are the AA affiliate of the Atlanta Thrashers and play all home games at the spectacular 11,355-seat Arena at Gwinnett Center, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth, where parking is always free.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 1, 2008
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Condors Top $3 million mark in cash, goods and services - Bakersfield Condors
- Grizzlies Head For Idaho; Home December 9 - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Teddy Bear Toss brings in 7,614 stuffed animals, most in Condors history - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Alaska Aces - Ontario Reign
- 8,929 Condors fans donate record 7,614 stuffed animals at Teddy Bear Toss - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads To Retire Mylymok's #4 On Saturday - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Knock Off Alaska, Prepare for Reign, Falcons - Stockton Thunder
- Bombers Weekly News - Dayton Bombers
- Steelheads and Booster Club Host Marine Corps Toys for Tots Toss on Friday - Idaho Steelheads
- Dubuc Assigned to Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lynx Acquire Mark O'Leary - Augusta Lynx
- RoadRunners Acquire Burnett From Trenton - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Everblades Have Record-Setting Week - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Reign Weeklong Toy Drive For Steven's Hope Begins Monday - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Set For December - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Canned Food Drive a Success - Atlanta Gladiators
- Trenton Devils Weekly - Trenton Devils
- Florida Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Weekly Arrowhead - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Mourns Loss Of Official Frank - ECHL
- Sea Wolves Weekly - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Phoenix Continues Series with Las Vegas This Week at Home - Phoenix RoadRunners
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Win Four Straight - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Acquire Fuller from Augusta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Suffer Late Game Loss in Dayton, 4-3 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.