Condors lose in shootout, 4-3
Boise, Idaho - The Condors overcame a 3-0 deficit to force a shootout, but were denied in the extra session as they suffered a 4-3 shootout loss in front of 4,258 fans at the Bank of America Centre on Wednesday night.
Idaho took a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes of play, taking advantage of a couple of defensive breakdowns. Bakersfield was caught trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone on the first goal, but ended up defending a 2-on-1 for the Steelheads. Joe Rybar fed it across to Cory Morgan, who chipped in his 19th of the season. Later, Marty Flichel found the puck in the low slot with nobody around him, and lifted it over a fallen Kevin St. Pierre for his 26th of the year.
The Steelheads extended the lead on the power play in the second period, as Ben Keup netted his ninth of the season. St. Pierre looked as if he stopped the wraparound chance by Keup, but the puck slid under his pads for the 3-0 score. Bakersfield did get on the board in the second frame, however, as Jeff Goldie tallied his 14th of the season. Mike Marostega's shot hit netminder Jason Cugnet and dropped down between his feet, wobbling towards the goal line. Goldie pushed it past with a diving effort to cut the lead to 3-1 after 40 minutes.
Bakersfield wasn't dead yet. Shawn Byram cut the lead to one with a perfect redirection of a Jonas Lennartsson shot for his 13th tally of the season at 4:41 of the third period. At 10:18 of the final frame, the Condors tied the game up. Christian Skoryna had two whacks at the puck on a rebound right on top of the crease, chipping the second one past Cugnet for the 3-3 score. In the shootout, only Marty Flichel tallied, as the Condors went scoreless on five shootout chances. They are 0-for16 in the shootout in the last three-plus games, but salvage a point to tie idle San Diego for second place in the WCHL standings.
The Condors return home to host the Anchorage Aces in a pair of games on Friday and Saturday. Friday night's game features long sleeve T-shirt giveaway for the first 2,000 fans, sponsored by KUZZ 107 and 3-Way Chevrolet. On Saturday night, the Raiderettes are in town, fresh off their Super Bowl performance, sponsored by B-Rock 99.
Individual tickets can be purchased at the Centennial Garden Box Office, by calling Ticketmaster at 322-2525, online at ticketmaster.com or stopping by any Ticketmaster location. Season and group tickets may be purchased by calling 324-PUCK (7825) or by visiting the Condors office next to Centennial Garden.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 30, 2003
- Express pick up road win in Greensboro - Greensboro Generals
- MacPherson Joins Sharp On Survival - San Diego Gulls
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Bachelor Auction to Benefit Make-a-Wish Foundation - Greenville Grrrowl
- Van Hoof Reassigned From Springfield - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rod Taylor Becomes ECHL All-Time Scoring Leader - ECHL
- Reading Royals Awarded 2005 ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Roanoke's Dusbabek Suspended 10 Games - ECHL
- Harrold and Bartek Traded to Richmond - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Pilots Kick-Off 'Ticket-Thon' This Saturday On BLAB-TV - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- It's Hockey Night in Fresno - Fresno Falcons
- Generals Game Day Notes - Greensboro Generals
- Bombers Land Blair Stayzer from Roanoke - Dayton Bombers
- Grrrowl Sign ACHL's Leading Goalie - Greenville Grrrowl
- Express Trade Stayzer to Dayton - Roanoke Express
- Grizzlies Lose Services of Chouinard - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors lose in shootout, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads Shoot Down Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Condors Win Game One in Colorado, 3-2
- Adventist Health Named Presenting Sponsor of 2019 Condors Playoffs
- Condors Claim Top Spot in Western Conference with 3-2 Win
- Condors Capture Pacific Division Regular Season Title
- Condors Host Fan Appreciation Night with Thousands of Prizes Tonight