Reading Royals Awarded 2005 ECHL All-Star Game
January 30, 2003 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. The East Coast Hockey League announced on Thursday that the 2005 ECHL All-Star Game and Skills Competition have been awarded to the Reading Royals.
The 13th Annual All-Star Game will be played at the 7,215-seat Sovereign Center. The dates for the game and the skills competition will be announced at a later date.
The East Coast Hockey League is very excited to bring its All-Star Game to Reading and a state-of-the-art facility like the Sovereign Center, said Brian McKenna, President/CEO of the ECHL. The Royals have a tremendous organization and play in front of one of the largest and most enthusiastic fan bases in the ECHL. They put together an outstanding bid with major corporate and community ties. We are happy to award the ECHLs showcase event to the City of Reading.
"On behalf of the Royals organization, the city of Reading, and our great fans, we are truly honored to play host to the 2005 All-Star Game, said Ray Delia, General Manager of Reading. I am thrilled that hockey fans throughout southeastern Pennsylvania will be treated to an all-star classic showcasing the best and brightest stars in our league."
Formed in 1988-89 with five teams in three states, the East Coast Hockey League celebrates its 15th Anniversary Season in 2002-03 with 27 teams in 14 states including the newest market in Lexington, Kentucky. The ECHL will welcome the following new members in 2003-04: Anchorage Aces, Bakersfield Condors, Fresno Falcons, Gwinnett (Georgia) Gladiators, Idaho (Boise) Steelheads, Las Vegas Wranglers, Long Beach Ice Dogs, San Diego Gulls and Texas (Beaumont) Wildcatters. The ECHL also has members in Jacksonville, Florida; New Orleans, Louisiana; Ontario, California and Reno, Nevada that are awaiting completion of arena projects.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 30, 2003
- Express pick up road win in Greensboro - Greensboro Generals
- MacPherson Joins Sharp On Survival - San Diego Gulls
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Bachelor Auction to Benefit Make-a-Wish Foundation - Greenville Grrrowl
- Van Hoof Reassigned From Springfield - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rod Taylor Becomes ECHL All-Time Scoring Leader - ECHL
- Reading Royals Awarded 2005 ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Roanoke's Dusbabek Suspended 10 Games - ECHL
- Harrold and Bartek Traded to Richmond - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Pilots Kick-Off 'Ticket-Thon' This Saturday On BLAB-TV - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- It's Hockey Night in Fresno - Fresno Falcons
- Generals Game Day Notes - Greensboro Generals
- Bombers Land Blair Stayzer from Roanoke - Dayton Bombers
- Grrrowl Sign ACHL's Leading Goalie - Greenville Grrrowl
- Express Trade Stayzer to Dayton - Roanoke Express
- Grizzlies Lose Services of Chouinard - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors lose in shootout, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads Shoot Down Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.