Steelheads Shoot Down Condors
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads extend their undefeated streak at home to seven games with a 4-3 shootout win over the Bakersfield Condors Wednesday night at the Bank of America Centre. The West Coast Hockey League's leading goal scorer Marty Flichel (26-23-49) delighted 4,258 fans with the game-winning goal, his second goal of the night.
The Steelheads started the scoring at 8:52 of the first period when Joe Rybar's pass to Cory Morgan resulted in a blast that got past Kevin St. Pierre. Derek Paget also got an assist on the tally. Flichel gave the Steelheads a 2-0 lead with a shot that got up and over St. Pierre's left shoulder. Idaho's second goal came at 15:30 of the first and was assisted by A.J. Begg.
At 3:21 of the second period Ben Keup scored the first power play goal of the game and gave the Steelheads a 3-0 lead. Dampy Brar took a shot that was blocked by a crowd in front of the Condors' netminder, but then Keup retrieved the rebound, wrapped it around the net and tucked it in under St. Pierre's pad. The goal was scored at 5:09 and continues Brar's assists streak to 5 in his last 5 games (since joining the team on 1/4/2003). Scott Swanson got his league-leading 38th assist of the year on the goal also. The Condors finally put one past Idaho's netminder Jason Cugnet at 17:22. Jeff Goldie recorded his 14th goal of the season with Shawn Byram and Mike Marostega each getting a point.
Bakersfield came out in the third period with a lot more gusto and played a much stronger offensive game. The Condors came within one goal when they scored at 4:41. Jonas Lennartsson shot the puck from the blue line and Shawn Byram deflected it to find the corner of the net. Putting the pressure on, the Condors scored again at 10:18 to tie the game at three apiece and to send it into a shootout. Christian Skoryna scored the goal with Goldie and Byram picking up assists on the tally.
Marty Flichel was the only player to score in the shootout. Cugnet's record improves to 25-9-1.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 30, 2003
- Express pick up road win in Greensboro - Greensboro Generals
- MacPherson Joins Sharp On Survival - San Diego Gulls
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Bachelor Auction to Benefit Make-a-Wish Foundation - Greenville Grrrowl
- Van Hoof Reassigned From Springfield - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rod Taylor Becomes ECHL All-Time Scoring Leader - ECHL
- Reading Royals Awarded 2005 ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Roanoke's Dusbabek Suspended 10 Games - ECHL
- Harrold and Bartek Traded to Richmond - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Pilots Kick-Off 'Ticket-Thon' This Saturday On BLAB-TV - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- It's Hockey Night in Fresno - Fresno Falcons
- Generals Game Day Notes - Greensboro Generals
- Bombers Land Blair Stayzer from Roanoke - Dayton Bombers
- Grrrowl Sign ACHL's Leading Goalie - Greenville Grrrowl
- Express Trade Stayzer to Dayton - Roanoke Express
- Grizzlies Lose Services of Chouinard - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors lose in shootout, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads Shoot Down Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Go "Under The Sea" for Nickelodeon Night This Saturday
- Steelheads Weekly
- Steelheads Score Early, Fall Late in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Allen
- Steelheads Overcome Deficit in 6-5 Overtime Win over Americans
- Forward Tye Felhaber Assigned to Steelheads from Texas Stars