Generals Game Day Notes
The Generals moved into a tie for first place with a 4-3 overtime win over South Carolina last night. The Generals trailed 1-0 early, but Shane Campbell tied the game at 1-1 in the first period. The Stingrays took the lead later in the first period and added another goal for a 3-1 lead in the second, but Sam Ftorek cut the deficit in half with a power play goal, and Matt Turek evened the score at 3-3 early in the third period. Pete Gardiner won the game in the opening minute of overtime, as the Generals won their fifth straight game.
The Express lost a 4-3 shootout decision at the Charlotte Checkers last Saturday. Roanoke allowed two goals in the first 2:15 of the game, but they settled down and managed to tie the game at 2-2 by the break on Doug Schuellers first goal of the year and another by Dan Carlson. Charlotte regained the lead midway through the second period, but Dylan Gyori netted the equalizer in the final minute of the period. Following a scoreless third period and overtime, the Checkers pulled out the shootout decision, outscoring the Express 2-1.
¨ 1/28 Released Terry Jarkowsky as an emergency backup goalie.
¨ 1/28 Goaltender Sebastien Centomo was reassigned to the Generals by the St. Johns Maple Leafs (AHL).
¨ 1/28 Center David Del Monte was placed on team suspension.
¨ 1/29 Defenseman Juraj Slovak was activated from the 7-day injured list.
¨ 1/25 Activated defenseman Doug Schueller from the 7-day injured list.
¨ 1/25 Placed left wing Shawn Limpright on the 7-day injured list.
NOTES & NUMBERS
¨ The Generals will have sole possession of first place with a win or a tie tonight.
¨ A Generals win tonight will give them a franchise record six game winning streak.
¨ The Generals overtime win last night was their first of the season.
¨ David Whitworths next assist will break a tie with Sal Manganaro for the most all-time assists as a General at 85.
¨ Tony MacAulay is making his coaching debut tonight after Perry Florio was fired by the Express yesterday.
¨ Roanoke has three players (Jason Jaffray, Dylan Gyori and Rick Kowalsky) in the top five in the league in scoring.
¨ All nine of Duncan Dalmaos goals have been scored on the power play.
¨ Dan Carlson has scored eleven points (6g, 5a) in his last five games. ABOUT THE GAME
This is the fourth of seven meetings of the season between the Generals and the Express. Greensboro is 1-1-1 against the Express this year, winning the last game 3-1 at home on January 15. Greensboro hosts the Express for the final time on February 16 at 4:00 in a game originally scheduled to be played on the 15th. Dont forget fans, you can also tune into all home games in the Coliseum on closed circuit radio (96.5 FM), with Arley Johnson handling the play-by-play. You can also call Arley with questions on the air between periods at 275-9738.
NEXT HOME GAME: The Generals begin a five game road trip this Saturday at the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies at 3:05 in a battle for the northeast division lead. That game will air live on WPET 950-AM and www.greensborogenerals.com after originally set to be on tape delay. The Generals dont play at home again until Thursday, February 13 at 7:00 against the Richmond Renegades. That contest is a Thirsty Thursday sponsored by R. H. Barringer, with all Anheuser-Busch drafts selling for just one dollar. All games can be heard on.
THE FRONT LINE: The Generals coaches show The Front Line airs live Monday night on WPET 950-AM from 6:00 7:00 from Jack Astors Bar and Grill on High Point Rd. Join Generals head coach Rick Adduono, broadcaster Arley Johnson, and special guest David Whitworth for a look back at the week gone by and a preview of the week ahead. Generals players appear weekly on the show, tickets will be given away at Jack Astors, and fans can call in their questions to Coach Adduono at (336) 275-9738.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 30, 2003
- Express pick up road win in Greensboro - Greensboro Generals
- MacPherson Joins Sharp On Survival - San Diego Gulls
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Bachelor Auction to Benefit Make-a-Wish Foundation - Greenville Grrrowl
- Van Hoof Reassigned From Springfield - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rod Taylor Becomes ECHL All-Time Scoring Leader - ECHL
- Reading Royals Awarded 2005 ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Roanoke's Dusbabek Suspended 10 Games - ECHL
- Harrold and Bartek Traded to Richmond - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Pilots Kick-Off 'Ticket-Thon' This Saturday On BLAB-TV - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- It's Hockey Night in Fresno - Fresno Falcons
- Generals Game Day Notes - Greensboro Generals
- Bombers Land Blair Stayzer from Roanoke - Dayton Bombers
- Grrrowl Sign ACHL's Leading Goalie - Greenville Grrrowl
- Express Trade Stayzer to Dayton - Roanoke Express
- Grizzlies Lose Services of Chouinard - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors lose in shootout, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads Shoot Down Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Generals Stories
- Statement from Matt Brown, Managing Director, Greensboro Coliseum Complex on future of Greensboro Ge
- New/Used Player Equipment Sale set for Saturday, June 26th
- Generals equipment auction slated for Saturday
- Season tickets still available for 2004-05 season
- Greensboro Generals Equipment Sale set for June 26th