MacPherson Joins Sharp On Survival
SAN DIEGO - B.J. MacPherson led the San Diego Gulls to three Taylor Cup championships. Now he's leading a new team: Sharp Healthcare's "Sharp on Survival."
For more than 15 years, Sharp Healthcare has worked closely with schools, youth groups, community agencies, fire and police departments to educate children, young adults and parents on the traumatic consequences of risk-taking behavior. "Sharp on Survival" is a program that provides critical information to help save lives and prevent injuries related to car crashes, alcohol and drug abuse, violence and sports activities.
MacPherson played five seasons with the Gulls, but his career ended with a devastating neck injury in May 2001. During Game 4 of the Taylor Cup Finals in Boise, Idaho, he dove for the puck and was struck in the head by an oncoming defenseman. MacPherson was paralyzed, but after only one month in the hospital, he beat the odds by walking without even the assistance of leg braces or special devices.
San Diego's former great became a speaker for the "Sharp on Survival" team in December and is inspiring listeners with his determination and strength. MacPherson and Sharp's goal is to encourage perseverance and sportsmanship.
"My life has changed drastically," MacPherson said. "Now I hope my story can influence others. I want people to realize that nothing should be taken for granted."
The Gulls and "Sharp on Survival" are teaming up for a special fundraiser on Feb. 15 when the Blue and Orange take on the Long Beach Ice Dogs. Half of the proceeds from all $11 terrace tickets purchased from Sharp representatives will benefit "Sharp on Survival"
MacPherson is scheduled to give a speech at the Sports Arena on March 8, before San Diego plays the Fresno Falcons. MacPherson bobble head dolls, presented by San Diego Fitness and Racquet Center, will be presented to the first 5,000 fans.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 30, 2003
- Express pick up road win in Greensboro - Greensboro Generals
- MacPherson Joins Sharp On Survival - San Diego Gulls
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Bachelor Auction to Benefit Make-a-Wish Foundation - Greenville Grrrowl
- Van Hoof Reassigned From Springfield - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rod Taylor Becomes ECHL All-Time Scoring Leader - ECHL
- Reading Royals Awarded 2005 ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Roanoke's Dusbabek Suspended 10 Games - ECHL
- Harrold and Bartek Traded to Richmond - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Pilots Kick-Off 'Ticket-Thon' This Saturday On BLAB-TV - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- It's Hockey Night in Fresno - Fresno Falcons
- Generals Game Day Notes - Greensboro Generals
- Bombers Land Blair Stayzer from Roanoke - Dayton Bombers
- Grrrowl Sign ACHL's Leading Goalie - Greenville Grrrowl
- Express Trade Stayzer to Dayton - Roanoke Express
- Grizzlies Lose Services of Chouinard - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors lose in shootout, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads Shoot Down Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.