Checkers set record attendance with 11,237 Saturday
CHARLOTTE, NC - Although the Checkers had their seven-game home win streak snapped Saturday night, the team set a new attendance record with 11, 237 fans. The Checkers hosted nearly 25,000 over three games last week.
CHECKERS THIS SEASON
25-18-3, 51 pts
1-2-0, 2 pts
Thursday, February 8, 2007 vs. South Carolina, W, 3-2
The Charlotte Checkers continued their winning ways Thursday night before the largest weeknight crowd of the season in a 3-2 triumph over the South Carolina Stingrays. A crowd of 6,071 at Charlotte Bobcats Arena witnessed the Checkers win their seventh straight home game and eighth victory in their last ten games overall. The win also allowed Charlotte to secure sole possession of fourth place in the crowded Southern Division of the ECHL's American Conference.
Saturday, February 10, 2007 vs. Texas, L, 3-6
The largest crowd ever to watch a Checkers hockey game showed up to see Charlotte hopefully extend their home winning streak to eight games. But the Texas Wildcatters had other ideas. Texas (27-13-4-4 for 60 points) built a 5-1 lead and cruised to a 6-3 victory in front of an all-time Checkers record crowd of 11,237. The previous high mark of 10,945 was set last season.
Sunday, February 11, 2007 , L, 1-vs. Columbia 2-3
After winning seven straight home games, the Checkers dropped their second in a row on home ice Sunday afternoon 3-2 to the Columbia Inferno before a "Pink in the Rink" sellout crowd of 7,351 at Charlotte Bobcats Arena. Charlotte (25-18-1-2 for 53 points) dominated the game, outshooting the Inferno 46-30. But Columbia was opportunistic, taking advantage of a bad bounce and a Charlotte turnover while also receiving solid goaltending from both starter Todd Ford and replacement Robert Gherson. The loss was Charlotte's first against the Inferno in five games this season.
GAMES THIS WEEK
Friday, February 16, 2007 @ South Carolina, 7:00 pm ET
Saturday, February 17, 2007 @ Augusta, 7:30 pm ET
Sunday, February 18, 2007 @ Gwinnett, 4:00 pm ET
- The Checkers climbed to second in attendance in the ECHL averaging 6,117.
- Bruce Graham is ranked 9th in the league with 24 goals.
Goals: Graham, Bruce (24)
Assists: Lee, Mark (29)
Points: Lee, Mark (42)
Plus/Minus: Ouellette, Mike (+10)
PIM: Vodrazka, Jan (120)
Wins: Holt, Chris (14)
GAA: Holt, Chris (3.13)
Save Pct.: Holt, Chris (.896)
CHECKERS BROADCAST INFO
Tune into all Charlotte Checkers away games as they broadcast on TEAMLINE. Fans can click the TEAMLINE logo on the Checkers website, www.gocheckers.com, or listen on the phone at 800-846-4700, code 2820. Fans can also watch several games this season on the B2 Network. Click the B2 Network logo on the Checkers website to view a list of available games as well as watch the game live. On the web or on the phone, listen as the voice of the Checkers, Tim Donelli, brings you all of the Checkers action.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 12, 2007
- Final Road Trip To Canada Awaits Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Welcome Fresno Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Tip-A-Condor Dinner Tuesday Night at 6:30 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- No love lost between Steelheads and Wranglers - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies To Visit VA Hospital - Utah Grizzlies
- Inferno Weekly - Columbia Inferno
- RoadRunners succumb to champs - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Las Vegas Sits In First Place of Pacific Division - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Wildcatters Weekly - Texas Wildcatters
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Attendance Continues To Grow With Florida's Two Millionth Fan - ECHL
- Awe Returns to Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL This Week - ECHL
- Condors Fly Through Thunder and Storm To Go Perfect on Week - Bakersfield Condors
- Bryan Young Recalled To Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Stockton Thunder
- Ice Pilots Weekly - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Condors Game Preview - Bakersfield Condors
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Drop and Give Us Sixty - Reading Royals
- "Be Our Valentine" at Salmon Kings versus Stockton - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Toledo Storm weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Bombers and K99.1 FM Team Up - Dayton Bombers
- Johnstown Chiefs Weekly - Johnstown Chiefs
- Fresno Falcons Weekly - Fresno Falcons
- Steelheads partner with St. Luke's for saving hearts - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Weekly Recap - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cincinnati Cyclones Weekly Info - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Checkers set record attendance with 11,237 Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.