Chasers Fall to Redbirds 4-0
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Omaha Storm Chasers were unable to get the offense going versus the Redbirds' pitching at AutoZone Park. LHP Brian Flynn gave up eight hits and walked three in just over three innings, while the rest of the Omaha pitching staff slowed Memphis' momentum for the remainder of the contest.
Omaha looked to be getting off to a good start when SS Adalberto Mondesi (1-4, 1 H, 1 SB) recorded a hit for the Storm Chasers in the top of the first inning and followed it up with a stolen base. Then with first base open, RF Erick Mejia (0-3, 1 BB) earned a walk after a full count. But with two men on and two outs, Mondesi was caught stealing third base, ending the Chasers' only scoring chance of the contest versus their division rivals. Omaha didn't record another hit until the ninth inning when 3B Eric Weiss (1-1) pinch hit for Mondesi and smacked a first pitch line drive to right field.
Memphis scored in the bottom of the first off of a two run home run to left SS Edmundo Sosa (3-5, 3 H, 1 R, 2 RBI) and kept the lead for the remainder. Omaha's starter, Flynn (3.1 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO) allowed one more run in the third and was pulled early in the fourth inning after getting into a jam and was eventually tagged with the loss.
The Redbirds starter, LHP Génesis Cabrera (7 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 12 SO) earned the win after striking out twelve and allowing just one hit through seven innings.
After the rubber match tomorrow in Memphis, the Storm Chasers return to Werner Park to wrap up the 2019 season with an eight-game homestand from August 26 through September 2, hosting the Nashville Sounds and Round Rock Express. First pitch of the series opener on Monday, August 26 is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Missions Use Pair of Six-Run Innings to Drub Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Fall to Redbirds 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Lose Lead, Fall in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Cabrera's Historic Night Leads 4-0 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grand Slam Gives Iowa the Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Express Sweep Baby Cakes in Saturday Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Drop Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (63-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-74) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodges Game Notes - August 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Drop Game Two in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Keeping Pace in the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Prevail on Wolf Pack Night - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut out by Las Vegas in Strikeout Heavy Pitchers' Duel - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sacramento Gets past Chihuahuas Again - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Top of the River Cats lineup destroys El Paso pitching in decisive win - Sacramento River Cats
- Dodgers' Offense Amiss Against Missions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.