Aces Prevail on Wolf Pack Night
Las Vegas, NV. - University of Nevada, Reno alum Braden Shipley got the start on Wolf Pack Night. The 2013 first-round draft pick went 4.1 innings allowing one run while scattering three hits and striking out two. He might not of earned the win, but the Aces did 7-5 over the Salt Lake Bees. The away team took the early lead on a Justin Bour solo home run, but the deficit didn't last as Reno stormed back. Blake Swihart tied the game in the bottom of the second on a solo-homer to right field that bounced into the Truckee River. The squad followed it up with a five-run third with the big blow coming off the bat of Andy Young, a three-run blast to center. Carlos Asuaje added a run for the Aces with a pinch-hit solo shot in the fourth inning. The Biggest Little City needed all the insurance runs they could get as Salt Lake rallied in the sixth to score four runs. Kaleb Cowart and Brennon Lund had the RBIs in the inning. Stefan Crichton was able to relieve Michael Tonkin during the frame and get the Aces out of the jam with the lead intact. He ended up earning the win tossing three scoreless innings surrendering two hits and striking out two. Ben Taylor got the save in the contest. Reno will be back at it tomorrow for Wizarding World with first pitch slated for 7:05 p.m. PT.
Top Performers - Reno
Carlos Asuaje (1-for-2, HR)
Andy Young (2-for-4, HR, 3 RBI)
Blake Swihart (1-for-4, HR)
Top Performers - Salt Lake
Justin Bour (1-for-3, HR, 2 R)
Kaleb Cowart (2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI)
Brennon Lund (2-for-4, RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Thursday August 23 Salt Lake RHP Riley Smith vs. RHP Jason Alexander 7:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Kevin 3-Bags: Kevin Cron hit his third career triple in the first inning of tonight's ballgame off the center-field wall. His first came in 2016 while playing for Double-A Mobile. The 6-foot-5 250-pound first baseman accomplished the feat last on August 4, 2018 against Oklahoma City at Greater Nevada Field for the Aces.
Theme Night Wins: After tonight's win on Wolf Pack Night, the Aces are now 6-2 in theme night games this season. Country Fest - Win (6-3 vs. Tacoma), Star Wars - Win (5-3 vs. Memphis), Archie's Super B-Day - Win (1-0 vs. Albuquerque), Margaritaville - Loss (5-1 vs. Sacramento), 90s Night - Loss (3-2 vs. Fresno), Military Night - Win (13-7 vs. Omaha), Firefighter - Win (13-10 vs. Sacramento), Wolf Pack Night - Win (7-5 vs. Salt Lake). Reno will play their last theme night game of the season tomorrow for Wizarding World against the Bees.
Nevada Ship: Braden Shipley is the highest-drafted athlete ever out of University of Nevada, Reno. He went No. 15 overall to the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2013. Basketball players Luke Babbitt (2010) and Kirk Snyder (2004) both went 16 overall in their respective drafts. He was drafted after earning Mountain West Co-Pitcher of the year and selected to the MW First-Team after posting a 7-3 record and 2.77 ERA in 2013. The righty is the Aces all-time win leader with 25 career victories.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Missions Use Pair of Six-Run Innings to Drub Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Fall to Redbirds 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Lose Lead, Fall in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Cabrera's Historic Night Leads 4-0 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grand Slam Gives Iowa the Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Express Sweep Baby Cakes in Saturday Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Drop Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (63-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-74) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodges Game Notes - August 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Drop Game Two in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Keeping Pace in the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Prevail on Wolf Pack Night - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut out by Las Vegas in Strikeout Heavy Pitchers' Duel - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sacramento Gets past Chihuahuas Again - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Top of the River Cats lineup destroys El Paso pitching in decisive win - Sacramento River Cats
- Dodgers' Offense Amiss Against Missions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada