Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Rewrite the history books! With a steal in the sixth inning of Saturday afternoon's game against the New Orleans Baby Cakes, Round Rock Express OF Kyle Tucker has become the fifth player in the 116-year history of the Pacific Coast League history to record a 30-30 season. Tucker has launched 32 home runs in addition to his 30 steals.
The most recent 30-30 season in the PCL belongs to Albuquerque's Joc Pederson, who accomplished the feat in 2014. Other players to record 30-30 seasons in the league include Los Angeles' Frank Demaree in 1934, San Francisco's Lefty O'Doul in 1927 and Salt Lake City's Tony Lazzeri in 1925.
Tucker previously became the sixth player in Round Rock Express history to record a season of at least 20 home runs and 20 steals, joining Jared Hoying (2014 & 2015), Cody Ransom (2007), Keith Ginter (2000) and Eric Cole (2000). With 24 home runs and 20 steals a year ago with the Fresno Grizzlies, Tucker also became the third player in PCL history to record back-to-back 20-20 seasons in the circuit.
Additionally, this marks the third straight 20-20 season for the top prospect, as he combined to steal 21 bases and blast 25 home runs between Class A-Advanced Buies Creek and Double-A Corpus Christi in 2017.
The Tampa, Florida native is in the midst of a career year with the Express. He has set new personal bests in home runs (32) and RBI (94) while appearing in 119 of Round Rock's 130 games this season. In total, Tucker is hitting .269 (119-442) on the year.
Tucker was originally drafted fifth overall by the Houston Astros in the first round of the 2015 MLB Draft. The 22-year-old made his major league debut a year ago after parts of just four seasons within the club's farm system. He is currently ranked as the top prospect in the Astros organization, and the #13 prospect in baseball, by MLB.com.
In addition to earning back-to-back Houston Astros Minor League Player of the Year awards in 2017 and 2018, Tucker has also been named a PCL All-Star each of the last two seasons. Earlier this season, he was named the PCL Player of the Month for May.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Missions Use Pair of Six-Run Innings to Drub Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Fall to Redbirds 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Lose Lead, Fall in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Cabrera's Historic Night Leads 4-0 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grand Slam Gives Iowa the Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Express Sweep Baby Cakes in Saturday Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Drop Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (63-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-74) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodges Game Notes - August 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Drop Game Two in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Keeping Pace in the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Prevail on Wolf Pack Night - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut out by Las Vegas in Strikeout Heavy Pitchers' Duel - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sacramento Gets past Chihuahuas Again - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Top of the River Cats lineup destroys El Paso pitching in decisive win - Sacramento River Cats
- Dodgers' Offense Amiss Against Missions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host "Kicks and Tricks" Kickball Tournament
- Rodeo Austin to Host New Event with Round Rock Express
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched