Grand Slam Gives Iowa the Victory
DES MOINES, IA - Iowa native Colin Rea earned his 14th win of the season as the I-Cubs (70-61) defeated the Nashville Sounds (60-69) 5-3, Saturday at Principal Park.
Rea matched an Iowa franchise-record earning his 14th victory of the season in tonight's game. It was his 11th quality start of the season, as the righty spun six innings allowing three runs on nine hits. He walked three and struck out four in the outing.
Nashville did all of their damage in the game with two outs and the bases loaded, beginning in the second inning when they opened the scoring with a bases-loaded walk.
Iowa quickly evened the score when Robel Garcia hit a solo shot in the bottom of the second, but the lead did not hold. With two outs in the top of the third inning, Preston Beck drove in two runs with a double off the wall.
The Sounds held their 3-1 lead until the bottom of the sixth inning when Mark Zagunis clubbed a grand slam over the left-field wall to give Iowa a 5-3 lead.
Alex Wilson spun two perfect frames while striking out two Nashville batters before giving way to Dillon Maples in the ninth inning. Maples closed out the game for Iowa, earning his sixth save of the season.
- Colin Rea became the first Iowa pitcher to earn 14 wins since Kurt Miller and Dave Swartbaugh each did so in 1998.
- Mark Zagunis became the sixth I-Cub to hit a grand slam this season. The outfielder has now recorded at least one home run of every variety. (Two solo shots, two two-run homers, one three-run bomb, one grand slam).
- In his second rehab game at Principal Park, Ben Zobrist was 0-for-4 with a strikeout. He started the game at second base and moved to left field in the later innings.
Iowa and Nashville meet for the rubber match in the third and final game of the series, Sunday at Principal Park. First pitch is scheduled for 1:08 p.m. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Missions Use Pair of Six-Run Innings to Drub Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Fall to Redbirds 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Lose Lead, Fall in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Cabrera's Historic Night Leads 4-0 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grand Slam Gives Iowa the Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Express Sweep Baby Cakes in Saturday Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Drop Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (63-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-74) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodges Game Notes - August 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Drop Game Two in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Keeping Pace in the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Prevail on Wolf Pack Night - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut out by Las Vegas in Strikeout Heavy Pitchers' Duel - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sacramento Gets past Chihuahuas Again - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Top of the River Cats lineup destroys El Paso pitching in decisive win - Sacramento River Cats
- Dodgers' Offense Amiss Against Missions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.