'Cakes Drop Doubleheader
ROUND ROCK - The first place Round Rock Express defeated the New Orleans Baby Cakes 7-1 in the first game of a doubleheader and then completed the sweep holding on to defeat the 'Cakes 5-4 in the nightcap.
Round Rock got a two run home run from Nick Tanielu in the second inning and Chas McCormick followed up with a solo shot as the Express jumped out to a 4-0 lead. Billy Fleming homered in the third inning to make it 4-1, but the Express added a three run double from Garrett Stubbs to extend the lead to 7-1.
In the second game, the Baby Cakes scored a run in the first to take the lead. Round Rock responded with a two run single from Taylor Jones.
The Express added a run in the fifth and a two run home run from Lorenzo Quintana extended the advantage to 5-1. The 'Cakes rallied in their final at bat scoring three runs to pull within one. The Express Ronel Blanco retired the final two hitters and preserved his fourth save.
The losses officially eliminates the 'Cakes from the postseason.
New Orleans will wrap up their penultimate road-trip Sunday night at 6pm and return home for the final homestand on Monday.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Missions Use Pair of Six-Run Innings to Drub Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Fall to Redbirds 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Lose Lead, Fall in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Cabrera's Historic Night Leads 4-0 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grand Slam Gives Iowa the Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Express Sweep Baby Cakes in Saturday Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Drop Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (63-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-74) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodges Game Notes - August 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Drop Game Two in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Keeping Pace in the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Prevail on Wolf Pack Night - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut out by Las Vegas in Strikeout Heavy Pitchers' Duel - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sacramento Gets past Chihuahuas Again - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Top of the River Cats lineup destroys El Paso pitching in decisive win - Sacramento River Cats
- Dodgers' Offense Amiss Against Missions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.