Cabrera's Historic Night Leads 4-0 Redbirds Win
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Genesis Cabrera turned in a masterful pitching performance to set the tone for a 4-0 Memphis Redbirds win over the Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals) Saturday night at AutoZone Park.
The Redbirds (64-67) have won five-straight games and 13 of their last 15 overall. Memphis has clinched a series win over the Storm Chasers (55-75) and has now won nine of its last 10 series.
Memphis has also outscored its opponents 27-3 in its last three games.
Cabrera tied a Pacific Coast League record with nine-straight strikeouts at one point from the middle of the third inning through the start of the sixth inning, and he finished with 12 strikeouts and one hit allowed in 7.0 innings. He ended his outing retiring the final 15 Storm Chasers he faced.
The PCL record for consecutive strikeouts by a pitcher was eight from when Vean Gregg did it in 1910 until 2018, when Redbird Alex Reyes bettered him by striking out nine-in-a-row against Oklahoma City on May 24, 2018. Cabrera then matched Reyes' feat this evening to match the league record in its 117 seasons of play.
The Redbirds opened the scoring right from the start, as Edmundo Sosa hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the first inning. Justin Williams singled and scored on a Ramon Urias sacrifice fly in the third, and he homered in the fifth for the fourth Redbird run of the game.
Injury-rehabbing Tyler O'Neill was on base three times with two walks and a single, and Rangel Ravelo was on base four times after drawing three walks and singling in the eighth.
Dylan Carlson singled in the second inning and walked in the fifth, and he now has a hit in all nine of his starts as a Redbird.
After Cabrera concluded his outing, Kodi Whitley worked the final two innings in scoreless fashion.
Memphis and Omaha wrap up their series tomorrow afternoon at 2:05, which also concludes the Redbirds' regular-season home schedule.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Sunday, August 25 at 2:05: Fan Appreciation Day presented by Hunter Fan Company (all fans receive a voucher good for a game in 2020); Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 7:00: Triple A-National Championship Game presented by Ephesus Sports Lighting
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Missions Use Pair of Six-Run Innings to Drub Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Fall to Redbirds 4-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Lose Lead, Fall in Iowa - Nashville Sounds
- Cabrera's Historic Night Leads 4-0 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grand Slam Gives Iowa the Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Express Sweep Baby Cakes in Saturday Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Drop Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-61) - Nashville Sounds
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (63-67) vs Omaha Storm Chasers (55-74) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodges Game Notes - August 24, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Drop Game Two in Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Keeping Pace in the Race - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Prevail on Wolf Pack Night - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut out by Las Vegas in Strikeout Heavy Pitchers' Duel - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sacramento Gets past Chihuahuas Again - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Top of the River Cats lineup destroys El Paso pitching in decisive win - Sacramento River Cats
- Dodgers' Offense Amiss Against Missions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- AutoZone Park to Host Free Movie Night Presented by Terminix
- MLB Names Peter B. Freund to Guide Transition of Licensed Affiliates
- Memphis Redbirds Statement on Season Cancellation
- Minor League Baseball Delays Start of 2020 Season
- Redbirds Single-Game Tickets on Sale