CF Montréal to Kick off Season Saturday against Toronto FC
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - CF Montréal will start its 2021 season, presented by BMO, this Saturday, at 2pm (TVA Sports, TVA, TSN, CTV, 91.9 Sports, TSN690.ca), against its rival, Toronto FC, in its temporary home, the DRV PNK (Drive Pink) Stadium, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
After a few weeks in Montreal, the team flew to Orlando, Florida, on April 6, to end its training camp, presented by Allstate Insurance, playing two preseason games against Tormenta FC and the Tampa Bay Rowdies. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Montreal will share, starting today, the installations of Inter Miami CF to start the season, including the season opener on Saturday, presented by BMO.
New faces from all around the world
Head coach Wilfried Nancy's current roster has 35 players under contract, including five Homegrowns from the CF Montréal Academy who were loaned out to Canadian Premier League clubs for the 2021 season.
In 2021, there are 10 new players: goalkeeper Sebastian Breza, defenders Zorhan Bassong, Kamal Miller and Kiki Struna, midfielders Ahmed Hamdi, Djordje Mihailovic and Joaquín Torres, as well as forwards Erik Hurtado, Sunusi Ibrahim and Bjørn Johnsen.
A total of 14 countries are represented in the first team's roster: Canada (18), USA (4), Argentina (2), England (1), Egypt (1), Finland (1), France (1), Honduras (1), Kenya (1), Nigeria (1), Norway (1), Uganda (1), Senegal (1) and Slovenia (1).
A 34-game season
In 2021, CFMTL will be playing in the Eastern Conference with 13 other clubs. Montreal will play three games against six opponents from its conference: Atlanta United FC, FC Cincinnati, Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC, Orlando City SC, and Toronto FC. CF Montréal will play two games against each of the other seven clubs in the Eastern Conference and will also face two teams from the Western Conference: Vancouver and Houston.
The seven highest ranked teams of each conference will qualify for the MLS playoffs, which begin on November 19. The MLS Cup final will be played on December 11.
As it was the case last season, each team will follow strict health and safety protocols, including COVID-19 testing on a regular basis. The possibility of playing home games in Montreal will be studied when there will be developments on traveling protocols, in relation with public health and guidelines from different levels of government.
All 34 games will be broadcast on television on TVA Sports, as well as on radio in French on 91.9 Sports and in English on TSN 690.
New in 2021, Collectif CFM, presented by Videotron, gives Season Ticket Members, as well as paid subscribers (only $4.99/month), access to behind-the-scenes content, live streaming, the new Le 45 podcast, as well as discounts on merch and tickets. Get more information or subscribe now here: http://collectif.cfmontreal.com/.
Goalkeepers: Sebastian Breza, Clément Diop, James Pantemis, Jonathan Sirois (on loan at Valour FC)
Defenders: Zorhan Bassong, Clément Bayiha, Luis Binks, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Rudy Camacho, Keesean Ferdinand (on loan at Atlético Ottawa), Mustafa Kizza, Kamal Miller, Kiki Struna, Joel Waterman, Karifa Yao (on loan at Cavalry FC)
Midfielders: Jean-Aniel Assi, Mathieu Choinière, Tomas Giraldo (on loan at FC Edmonton), Ahmed Hamdi, Lassi Lappalainen, Emanuel Maciel, Djordje Mihailovic, Samuel Piette, Sean Rea (on loan at Valour FC), Nathan-Dylan Saliba, Amar Sejdic, Ballou Tabla, Joaquín Torres, Victor Wanyama, Rida Zouhir
Forwards: Erik Hurtado, Sunusi Ibrahim, Bjørn Johnsen, Romell Quioto, Mason Toye
Head coach: Wilfried Nancy
Assistant coaches: Kwame Ampadu, Laurent Ciman, Jason Di Tullio
Goalkeeper coach: Rémy Vercoutre
Fitness coach: Jules Gueguen
Video analyst: Maxime Chalier
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 15, 2021
- Charlotte FC Players React to Bank of America Stadium Renovation Plans - Charlotte FC
- Denver to Host First-Ever Concacaf Nations League Finals in June 2021 - Colorado Rapids
- Come to Our Pre-Match Party Saturday at Hard Rock Café Downtown: Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Partnership with Daktronics in First Nashville SC Stadium Event - Nashville SC
- LAFC Teams up with 710 Am ESPN and KFWB 980 La Mera Mera for 2021 Radio Broadcasts - Los Angeles FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Open MLS Regular Season against San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Star64, IHeartRadio as Local Broadcast Partners - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces Policies and Procedures for Toyota Stadium to Start 2021 Season - FC Dallas
- Rapids Look to Reap the Benefits of Team Chemistry in 2021 - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Real Esteli FC Tomorrow in Second Leg of 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Columbus Crew SC
- Arlo White, Tony Meola & Tyler Terens Headline Chicago Fire FC's 2021 Broadcast Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Pick Josh Bauer - Atlanta United FC
- Week 1 News & Notes - MLS
- Sporting KC Signs Goalkeeper Parker Siegfried on Loan - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Gallagher - FC Dallas
- J. Rieger & Co. Announces Sporting KC Whiskey Label - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bull Arena Receives Global Biorisk Advisory Council STAR Accreditation - New York Red Bulls
- CF Montréal to Kick off Season Saturday against Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC Loans Midfielder Shandon Hopeau to San Antonio FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Patrick Seagrist Joins Indy Eleven on Loan - Inter Miami CF
- Nissan Stadium Transitions to Cashless Payment for All Future Events - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Signs 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick Vuk Latinovich - New York City FC
- Minnesota United Announces Technical Staff Hires - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Football Club & Lexus Partner to Drive Luxury Fan Experiences at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- WSOC-TV, TV64 & Telemundo Charlotte Announce First-Ever Television Partnership with Charlotte Football Club - Charlotte FC
- Sergio Ruiz: "I'm Happy and Playing with Confidence" - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- Academy Teams to Play Friendly Games Again
- Samuel Piette again an Ambassador for the Walk of Courage Jean-Pagé
- Luis Binks Loan Terminated
- Construction at Parc Paul-André-Potvinin Shawinigan Progressing Well
- CF Montréal Issues Statement on NHL Travel Exemption