Sergio Ruiz: "I'm Happy and Playing with Confidence"
CHARLOTTE-Frankly, Sergio Ruiz's preparation for Charlotte FC's inaugural season couldn't be going much better.
In September 2020, the club's first-ever signing was sent on loan to Las Palmas in Spain's second tier. While loan signings may typically take time to establish themselves with a new team, the 26-year-old became a mainstay in the starting XI straight out of the gate. The Spanish midfielder has been virtually ever-present for the Canary Islands side as they push for promotion to Spain's top division, La Liga.
In 28 league matches at the time of writing, Ruiz has scored five goals and provided five assists. His first goal of 2021 came in a match against Leganes, in which he was awarded Man of the Match-and was subsequently nominated for the league's Player of the Month award.
Excited to see future @CharlotteMLS midfielder @Sergio_Ruiz_6 with a great strike today from just outside the box earning him Player of the Match. pic.twitter.com/NlDuMhmVHp
- Nick Kelly (@NickKelly) January 24, 2021
"I was very proud and happy to get the Player of the Month nomination," said Ruiz. "This year, the level of the league is very high, and there are some very good players. Me being one of them is something incredible."
Notably, Ruiz has scored with both feet in this campaign, and stepped up with some clutch goals in recent weeks, including an equalizer in the fiercely contested derby match with Tenerife.
@Sergio_Ruiz_6 looking like he's ready for 2022 @CharlotteFC @MintCityColl pic.twitter.com/rqta6tvjl5
- Cheezo (@illgill91) March 28, 2021
The midfielder's favorite strike of the season, however, came last month against Rayo Vallecano, where he rescued a point (and earned another Man of the Match accolade) with a superb long-range effort in the 87th minute.
"I think the goal against Rayo Vallecano is my favorite of the season so far," said Ruiz. "It earned a draw near the end of the game, and I also think it was the most beautiful and difficult shot of them all."
Ruiz started April with a brace of assists in Las Palmas' 6-1 demolition of Lugo, which marked the biggest home win, and highest-scoring match of the Segunda Division thus far. It also put the future MLS player in the league's Team of the Week for the second consecutive week.
Ruiz's well-rounded performances are evident in stats that go well beyond goals and assists: he has created 28 chances in his 28 league matches, with 87% pass accuracy and 78% shots on target. Defensively, he has managed 24 interceptions and 27 clearances.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Sergio Ruiz (@sergio.ruiz.alonso)
"I'm really enjoying my time with Las Palmas, both on a personal and sporting level," said Ruiz.
"I'm happy, I'm playing with confidence, and my level is increasing. We have a young team that plays great soccer and I identify with the club's philosophy.
While the conditions of the pandemic have created a strange season in most leagues ("It is weird and a little sad to play without fans," admits Ruiz), the first player to put pen to paper with Charlotte FC is revelling in his current loan spell, saying "this island is a great place to live-the weather is good and the city is beautiful."
Clearly, Ruiz is enjoying his game right now. And clearly, Charlotte FC fans have plenty to be excited about for the 2022 season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 15, 2021
- Charlotte FC Players React to Bank of America Stadium Renovation Plans - Charlotte FC
- Denver to Host First-Ever Concacaf Nations League Finals in June 2021 - Colorado Rapids
- Come to Our Pre-Match Party Saturday at Hard Rock Café Downtown: Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Partnership with Daktronics in First Nashville SC Stadium Event - Nashville SC
- LAFC Teams up with 710 Am ESPN and KFWB 980 La Mera Mera for 2021 Radio Broadcasts - Los Angeles FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Open MLS Regular Season against San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Star64, IHeartRadio as Local Broadcast Partners - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces Policies and Procedures for Toyota Stadium to Start 2021 Season - FC Dallas
- Rapids Look to Reap the Benefits of Team Chemistry in 2021 - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Real Esteli FC Tomorrow in Second Leg of 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Columbus Crew SC
- Arlo White, Tony Meola & Tyler Terens Headline Chicago Fire FC's 2021 Broadcast Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Signs SuperDraft Pick Josh Bauer - Atlanta United FC
- Week 1 News & Notes - MLS
- Sporting KC Signs Goalkeeper Parker Siegfried on Loan - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Gallagher - FC Dallas
- J. Rieger & Co. Announces Sporting KC Whiskey Label - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bull Arena Receives Global Biorisk Advisory Council STAR Accreditation - New York Red Bulls
- CF Montréal to Kick off Season Saturday against Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC Loans Midfielder Shandon Hopeau to San Antonio FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Patrick Seagrist Joins Indy Eleven on Loan - Inter Miami CF
- Nissan Stadium Transitions to Cashless Payment for All Future Events - Nashville SC
- New York City FC Signs 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick Vuk Latinovich - New York City FC
- Minnesota United Announces Technical Staff Hires - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Football Club & Lexus Partner to Drive Luxury Fan Experiences at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- WSOC-TV, TV64 & Telemundo Charlotte Announce First-Ever Television Partnership with Charlotte Football Club - Charlotte FC
- Sergio Ruiz: "I'm Happy and Playing with Confidence" - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Brandt Bronico Discusses His Successful Loan, Future Teammate Christian Fuchs
- Christian Fuchs: "2022 Cannot Come Quick EnoughÃ¢ÂÂ
- Charlotte FC Announces Ryan Johnson as North America Scout
- Charlotte FC Signs Defender Christian Fuchs
- Charlotte FC Academy Discovery Program Celebrates Successful Inaugural Season