'Canes Sign Mattheos to Entry-Level Contract
RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed forward Stelio Mattheos to a three-year, entry-level contract The deal begins with the 2019-20 season and will pay him $700,000 in 2019-20 and 2020-21 and $750,000 in 2021-22 at the NHL level. He will be paid $70,000 per season at the AHL level and receives a signing bonus of $277,500. Mattheos will report to Charlotte for the remainder of this season on an amateur try-out agreement.
"Stelio is a highly-skilled center coming off back-to-back 90-point seasons in Brandon," said Waddell. "He's shown great ability as a goal scorer and we look forward to the next steps in his development."
Mattheos, 19, ranked fourth in the Western Hockey League in goals (44) and sixth in points (96) this season, while skating in 65 games for the Brandon Wheat Kings. Mattheos captained the Wheat Kings in 2018-19 and led the team in goals, assists (52), points, shots on goal (271), power-play goals (18) and power-play assists (16). The 6'1", 196-pound forward reached 40 goals and 90 points for the second straight season and was the only WHL player to score 40 goals in each of the last two seasons. Mattheos tallied 30 multi-point games this season, including three hat tricks, and won 54.5% of his team-high 1,348 faceoffs.
The Winnipeg, Man., native was drafted by the Hurricanes in the third round, 73rd overall, of the 2017 NHL Draft. Mattheos registered 278 points (127g, 151a) in 253 career WHL regular season games with Brandon from 2015-19, and added 25 points (12g, 13a) in 45 career playoff games. He won a WHL Championship in 2016 with the Wheat Kings and skated in three games with a goal at the 2016 Memorial Cup. Mattheos was selected first overall by Brandon in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.
The Hurricanes host the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday at PNC Arena at 7:30 p.m. For more information about Hurricanes ticket packages, please visit www.CarolinaHurricanes.com/tickets, or call 1-866-NHL-CANES (1-866-645-2263).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2019
- Flames Reassign Lazar to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- 'Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Home Stretch Continues with 1-2-3 Food, Kids in Free, and Post-Game Skate this Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- James Phelan and Robbie Payne Returned to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Ads Host IceHogs Friday in Important Divisional Battle - Milwaukee Admirals
- Meet IceHogs Alumni & Win Blackhawks Tickets Friday at Owly Oop - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Add Three to Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- T-Birds' Tenth 3-In-3 Weekend Begins Friday vs. Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Abramov, Brannstrom, Chlapik Head to Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Matt Read from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- 'Canes Sign Mattheos to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Forward A.J. Greer Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Sound Tigers Sign Hutton to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign F Adam Rockwood to ATO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Ink Clapperton to AHL Contract - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Sign D Rob Michel to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Held Scoreless in 2-0 Loss to Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Delia Dials In, Schroeder Stars in Shootout to Defeat Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Drops Magic Number to 13 in 2-0 Win against Tucson - Iowa Wild
- Stars Score 6-3 Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Come from Behind to Defeat Bruins 3-2 in 8-Round Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Stars Outshine Griffins in 6-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drop Shootout to Rockford - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.