T-Birds' Tenth 3-In-3 Weekend Begins Friday vs. Devils
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (27-26-7-5) will begin their tenth 3-in-3 weekend of the season on Friday, March 22 when the Binghamton Devils (24-35-6-0) make their way to the MassMutual Center for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop. The Laval Rocket (26-27-6-5) will be in Springfield on Saturday before the T-Birds travel to Pennsylvania on Sunday to take on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (30-24-6-3) as they finish up the three-game weekend at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
The Thunderbirds will be looking to find their third straight win over the Devils this season as they begin play on Friday night. Five different T-Birds found the back of the net in early December to take down the Devils, 5-1. The Thunderbirds again came away the victors on March 8 after a third period comeback gave them the 3-2 win. The Devils went into the third period up 2-1 until a Paul Thompson power play goal gridlocked the matchup. Sebastian Repo secured the win getting one past Binghamton goaltender Evan Cormier at 15:23.
Thompson has picked up a goal in both wins over the Devils this season. The Thunderbirds power play went 3-for-6 in early December and were a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill. In the March meeting, the T-Birds capitalized on one of four power play opportunities and again went 5-for-5 on the kill.
Springfield will stay home for a second matchup on Saturday night where they look to pick up their third win this season against the Rocket. This is the teams' first meeting since January 21 when the Thunderbirds fell in overtime, 4-3 and took their first and only loss of the season to Laval. Xavier Ouellet scored the OT winner at 4:16 in the extra stanza helping his teammates to their first win over the Thunderbirds in their history.
Anthony Greco helped the Thunderbirds to their back-to-back wins on October 19-20 with a goal and an assist in each game. Thompson also has two goals this season against Laval.
As the Thunderbirds hit the road on Sunday, they will be looking to close out the 3-on-3 weekend with a win over Atlantic division foes, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. The Thunderbirds have lost three of four matchups with the Penguins this season, with two coming in a shootout.
Springfield picked up its lone win over the Penguins in overtime on November 23, making that their third consecutive home win. Harry Zolnierczyk (1g, 3a) and Thompson (3g, 1a) each have four points against the Penguins this season. Ethan Prow leads the Penguins in goals against the Thunderbirds with two. In the Penguins' net, Tristan Jarry sits third among all AHL netminders in saves with 1,134 this season.
Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-2020 ticket memberships are on sale now and include the best benefits of being a Thunderbirds ticket holder. To learn more about memberships and single game tickets, visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com or call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2019
- Flames Reassign Lazar to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- 'Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Home Stretch Continues with 1-2-3 Food, Kids in Free, and Post-Game Skate this Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- James Phelan and Robbie Payne Returned to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Ads Host IceHogs Friday in Important Divisional Battle - Milwaukee Admirals
- Meet IceHogs Alumni & Win Blackhawks Tickets Friday at Owly Oop - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Add Three to Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- T-Birds' Tenth 3-In-3 Weekend Begins Friday vs. Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Abramov, Brannstrom, Chlapik Head to Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Matt Read from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- 'Canes Sign Mattheos to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Forward A.J. Greer Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Sound Tigers Sign Hutton to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign F Adam Rockwood to ATO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Ink Clapperton to AHL Contract - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Sign D Rob Michel to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Held Scoreless in 2-0 Loss to Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Delia Dials In, Schroeder Stars in Shootout to Defeat Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Drops Magic Number to 13 in 2-0 Win against Tucson - Iowa Wild
- Stars Score 6-3 Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Come from Behind to Defeat Bruins 3-2 in 8-Round Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Stars Outshine Griffins in 6-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drop Shootout to Rockford - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds' Strong Start Doesn't Hold up vs. Wolf Pack
- T-Birds Acquire D Rob O'Gara from San Antonio Rampage
- Florida Panthers Recall F Aleksi Saarela from T-Birds
- T-Birds Recall Marcinew, MacPherson from ECHL Ahead of Teddy Bear Toss Weekend
- Desrosiers, Magnifique