Wolves Drop Shootout to Rockford
ROCKFORD, Illinois - The Chicago Wolves erased a second-period deficit, but fell in a shootout 2-1 to the Rockford IceHogs in Illinois Lottery Cup action on Wednesday night at the MetroCentre.
Forward Gage Quinney scored his third short-handed goal of the season for Chicago (37-19-5-3) and netminder Oscar Dansk (20-9-4) recorded 28 saves. The Wolves improved their Central Division lead to 2 points over the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Victor Ejdsell scored in regulation for Rockford (31-24-4-6) while goaltender Collin Delia (10-6-4) stopped 32 shots. The shootout win puts Rockford ahead 6-5 in the Illinois Lottery Cup standings with just one game remaining in the series. If the Wolves win on March 31 at Rockford, then they will claim the Cup for the third year in a row.
After a scoreless first period, Ejdsell scored at the 3:56 of the second. Forward Alexandre Fortin shot from the right side, but the puck deflected off defenseman Jake Bischoff's leg, off Ejdsell's stick and past Dansk.
Quinney evened up the game late in the second at the 18:19 mark on the penalty kill. Forward Curtis McKenzie blocked a Rockford shot near the top of the circles and Quinney was able to pop the loose puck past the defense. Quinney won the foot race to the puck and beat Delia's glove to knot the game 1-1.
The Wolves outshot Rockford 13-7 in the final period, but the IceHogs held on to force overtime and the shootout session, where former Wolves center Jordan Schroeder was the lone scorer in the three-round shootout.
The Wolves continue their five-game road trip on Friday at Texas. Chicago returns to Allstate Arena on Saturday, March 30, for Salute to Military Families Night. To find the best ticket deals, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2019
- Flames Reassign Lazar to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- 'Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Home Stretch Continues with 1-2-3 Food, Kids in Free, and Post-Game Skate this Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- James Phelan and Robbie Payne Returned to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Ads Host IceHogs Friday in Important Divisional Battle - Milwaukee Admirals
- Meet IceHogs Alumni & Win Blackhawks Tickets Friday at Owly Oop - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Add Three to Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- T-Birds' Tenth 3-In-3 Weekend Begins Friday vs. Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Abramov, Brannstrom, Chlapik Head to Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Matt Read from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- 'Canes Sign Mattheos to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Forward A.J. Greer Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Sound Tigers Sign Hutton to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign F Adam Rockwood to ATO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Ink Clapperton to AHL Contract - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Sign D Rob Michel to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Held Scoreless in 2-0 Loss to Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Delia Dials In, Schroeder Stars in Shootout to Defeat Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Drops Magic Number to 13 in 2-0 Win against Tucson - Iowa Wild
- Stars Score 6-3 Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Come from Behind to Defeat Bruins 3-2 in 8-Round Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Stars Outshine Griffins in 6-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drop Shootout to Rockford - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.