Iowa Drops Magic Number to 13 in 2-0 Win against Tucson
TUCSON, ARIZ. - Iowa Wild (39-19-7-5; 80 pts.) blanked the Tucson Roadrunners (28-23-5-2; 63 pts.) by a score of 2-0 Wednesday night, dropping the team's magic number to clinch a playoff spot to 13. Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen (24 saves) earned his sixth shutout of the season in the contest, tying Syracuse's Connor Ingram for most in the AHL.
After a scoreless first period, Iowa took a 1-0 lead as forward Mitch McLain potted his 10th goal of the season. After a miscommunication between goaltender Adin Hill (24 saves) and the Tucson defense, McLain stole the puck behind the net and gave it to forward Dmitry Sokolov on the close post. Hill stopped two attempts by Sokolov before McLain started chopping at the puck, eventually pushing it over the goal line. Defenseman Matt Bartkowski recorded the secondary assist on the goal at 4:28 in the middle frame.
The Wild took a 2-0 at 15:04 in the second period. Forward Cal O'Reilly shuttled a puck to forward Gerry Mayhew in the slot, who blasted a one-timer on goal. Forward Will Bitten deflected Mayhew's shot past Hill and into the back of the net for his eighth of the season. O'Reilly's assist was his eighth consecutive game with a helper, setting a new franchise record. His assist also gave him 15 points (3g,12a) in his last eight games.
Through 40 minutes of play, Iowa led 2-0 and shots were tied 16-16 after Tucson had a 7-3 shot advantage at the end of the first.
Tucson couldn't solve Kahkonen in the final 20 minutes and at the final buzzer, the Wild got back in the win column and dropped the team's magic number to 13 in the process. Both teams went 0-for-2 on the power play and Iowa outshot Tucson 26-24.
Iowa returns to the ice Friday night as the team takes on the Stockton Heat in California. Puck drop is scheduled for 9:00 p.m.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2019
- Flames Reassign Lazar to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- 'Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Home Stretch Continues with 1-2-3 Food, Kids in Free, and Post-Game Skate this Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- James Phelan and Robbie Payne Returned to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Ads Host IceHogs Friday in Important Divisional Battle - Milwaukee Admirals
- Meet IceHogs Alumni & Win Blackhawks Tickets Friday at Owly Oop - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Add Three to Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- T-Birds' Tenth 3-In-3 Weekend Begins Friday vs. Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Abramov, Brannstrom, Chlapik Head to Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Matt Read from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- 'Canes Sign Mattheos to Entry-Level Contract - Charlotte Checkers
- Forward A.J. Greer Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Sound Tigers Sign Hutton to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign F Adam Rockwood to ATO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Ink Clapperton to AHL Contract - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Sign D Rob Michel to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Held Scoreless in 2-0 Loss to Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Delia Dials In, Schroeder Stars in Shootout to Defeat Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Drops Magic Number to 13 in 2-0 Win against Tucson - Iowa Wild
- Stars Score 6-3 Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Come from Behind to Defeat Bruins 3-2 in 8-Round Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Stars Outshine Griffins in 6-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Wolves Drop Shootout to Rockford - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Takes 2-0 Series Lead with 6-1 Win Tuesday
- Iowa Wild Captures Team's First Calder Cup Playoffs Win
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements
- Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- Iowa Wild Announces First Round Playoff Schedule