Canada's National Men's Team Management Group Named For 2014 Deutschland Cup And 2014 Spengler Cup
CALGARY, Alta. - Hockey Canada announced Friday that Steve Tambellini (Trail, B.C.) will lead the management group for Canada's National Men's Team for the 2014 Deutschland Cup and 2014 Spengler Cup, with assistance from Craig Heisinger (Winnipeg, Man.), and Scott White (Ormstown, Que.).
The 2014 Deutschland Cup will take place Nov. 7-9 in Munich, Germany, while the 2014 Spengler Cup is scheduled for Dec. 26-31 in Davos, Switzerland.
Steve Tambellini, 56, returns for a 10th appearance with Team Canada, having served as general manager at the IIHF World Championship in 2003 and 2005, winning gold and silver, respectively, and director of player personnel at the 2001 IIHF World Championship, Olympic Winter Games in 2002 and 2006, and 2004 World Cup of Hockey, helping Canada to Olympic gold in 2002 and a World Cup championship. As a player, Tambellini represented his country at the 1978 IIHF World Junior Championship, winning bronze, 1981 IIHF World Championship and 1988 Olympic Winter Games. He played 10 NHL seasons from 1978-88 with Vancouver, Calgary, New Jersey, Colorado and the New York Islanders.
Craig Heisinger, 51, is the senior vice-president and director of hockey operations, and assistant general manager with the NHL's Winnipeg Jets, and has worked with Team Canada on four previous occasions; he was a member of the management group for the 2013 Spengler Cup, and served as equipment manager at the 1988 IIHF World Junior Championship, 1997 IIHF World Championship and 1998 Olympic Winter Games, winning a gold medal in each of his first two appearances.
Scott White, 46, is the director of hockey operations for the NHL's Dallas Stars. He has been with the Stars' organization since 2005, also serving as director of hockey operations for the AHL's Iowa Stars from 2005-08 and as general manager of the AHL's Texas Stars from 2009-14, leading the team to the AHL's best regular season record and a Calder Cup championship last season.
"This is a group with a tremendous amount of experience and success at every level of the game," said Scott Salmond, vice-president of hockey operations and national teams with Hockey Canada. "We're excited to draw upon their expertise and put together teams that will make Canada proud in Europe this season."
The management group will work with Bayne Pettinger, manager of hockey operations and national teams with Hockey Canada, on the Deutschland Cup, and with Shawn Bullock, senior manager of hockey operations and national teams with Hockey Canada, on the Spengler Cup.
Canada's National Men's Team last participated in the Deutschland Cup in 2012, finishing fourth. Canada has taken part in the tournament on 16 occasions (1992-2006, 2008, 2010, 2012), winning four gold medals (2000, 2002, 2005, 2008).
Canada will open the 2014 Deutschland Cup on Friday, Nov. 7 when it meets Slovakia at 10:30 a.m. ET/7:30 a.m. PT at the Olympia-Eissportzentrum in Munich. It will also face Switzerland and host Germany in the round-robin tournament.
Canada has appeared in 10 of the last 13 championship games at the Spengler Cup, winning the tournament in 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2012. Overall, Canada's National Men's Team has won the Spengler Cup 12 times (1984, 1986, 1987, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2012) since first taking part in 1984.
Canada will be part of the Cattini Group at the 2014 Spengler Cup, opening the tournament Dec. 26 against host HC Davos (SUI). The loser of that game faces KHL Medvescak Zagreb (CRO) on Dec. 27, while the winner takes on the Croatian side on Dec. 28.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 10, 2014
- San Antonio Slips Past Iowa 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Drop Season Opener in Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Blank Griffins 4-0 in Season Opener - Cleveland Monsters
- IceCaps Fall Short in Season Opener - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2014-15 Upstate University Hospital Opening Night Roster - Syracuse Crunch
- D Shayne Taker Reassigned to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Canada's National Men's Team Management Group Named For 2014 Deutschland Cup And 2014 Spengler Cup - Texas Stars
- Wolves Add Sopel and Longpre Before Opening Night - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Open 21st Season Saturday at Allstate Arena - Chicago Wolves
- Gordon, Powe, Stortini Named Phantoms Captains - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Barons Submit Opening Night Roster - Oklahoma City Barons
- Bulldogs Announce Opening Night Roster - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Assign Three Players to Elmira - Rochester Americans
- American Hockey League's 79th Season Begins Tonight - AHL
- Worcester Sharks Announce 2014-15 Regular Season Roster - Worcester Sharks
- IceHogs Announce Opening Night Roster - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Announce 2014-15 Opening Day Roster & Broadcast Schedule - Toronto Marlies
- Canadiens Assign Forward Tim Bozon to the Kootenay Ice - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers Recall Michael Kostka from Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monarchs Finalize Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Hershey Bears Announce Opening Night Roster - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Name Gabriel Dumont 13th Captain in Team History - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Announce Opening Night Roster - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Reveal Roster, Start Season Tonight in Providence - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Announce 2014-15 Opening Night Roster - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.