Wolves Add Sopel and Longpre Before Opening Night
The Chicago Wolves announced Friday that they have signed defenseman BRENT SOPEL to a SPC (Standard Players' Contract) and left wing NATHAN LONGPRE to a PTO (Professional Tryout) ahead of Saturday night's home opener against Charlotte.
SOPEL, who endeared himself to Chicagoans during his three-year tenure with the Blackhawks from 2007-10, returns to North America after spending the last three seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League in Russia. The 37-year-old has accrued 218 points (44G, 174A) and 309 penalty minutes in 658 career NHL games and captured the Stanley Cup in 2010.
The veteran defenseman broke into the pro ranks full-time in 1997-98 with Syracuse (AHL) and has since suited up for Vancouver, New York (Islanders), Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and Montreal in the NHL, Kansas City in the IHL, and Novokuznetsk Mettalurg and Ufa Salavat Yulaev in the KHL. This will be his first foray into the AHL since the 1999-2000 season, in which he collected 31 points (6G, 25A) and 67 penalty minutes in 50 games with Syracuse.
LONGPRE rejoins the Wolves after posting his best professional season with the team in 2013-14, contributing 20 points (6G, 14A) in 66 games. The 26-year-old has spent parts of the past three seasons with the club, while also suiting up for Peoria, Springfield, and Worcester. Since turning pro following the conclusion of his collegiate career at Robert Morris University in 2010-11, the forward has compiled 57 points (23G, 34A) and 49 penalty minutes in 190 AHL contests.
The defending Midwest Division champions launch their pursuit of the 2015 Calder Cup championship at 7 p.m. on Saturday when they host the Charlotte Checkers at Allstate Arena. The Wolves play 38 regular-season games in Rosemont. For information on season-ticket packages and flex plans, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 10, 2014
- San Antonio Slips Past Iowa 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Drop Season Opener in Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Blank Griffins 4-0 in Season Opener - Cleveland Monsters
- IceCaps Fall Short in Season Opener - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2014-15 Upstate University Hospital Opening Night Roster - Syracuse Crunch
- D Shayne Taker Reassigned to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Canada's National Men's Team Management Group Named For 2014 Deutschland Cup And 2014 Spengler Cup - Texas Stars
- Wolves Add Sopel and Longpre Before Opening Night - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Open 21st Season Saturday at Allstate Arena - Chicago Wolves
- Gordon, Powe, Stortini Named Phantoms Captains - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Barons Submit Opening Night Roster - Oklahoma City Barons
- Bulldogs Announce Opening Night Roster - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Assign Three Players to Elmira - Rochester Americans
- American Hockey League's 79th Season Begins Tonight - AHL
- Worcester Sharks Announce 2014-15 Regular Season Roster - Worcester Sharks
- IceHogs Announce Opening Night Roster - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Announce 2014-15 Opening Day Roster & Broadcast Schedule - Toronto Marlies
- Canadiens Assign Forward Tim Bozon to the Kootenay Ice - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers Recall Michael Kostka from Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monarchs Finalize Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Hershey Bears Announce Opening Night Roster - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Name Gabriel Dumont 13th Captain in Team History - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Announce Opening Night Roster - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Reveal Roster, Start Season Tonight in Providence - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Announce 2014-15 Opening Night Roster - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.