San Antonio Slips Past Iowa 3-2
San Antonio, TX - The Iowa Wild (0-1-0-0, 0 points) were defeated by the San Antonio Rampage (1-0-0-0, 2 points) 3-2 in front of 6,694 fans at AT&T Center on Friday night. Rampage forward Mark Mancari broke a 2-2 tie at 9:19 of the third period, giving San Antonio the lead for good. Despite Iowa forwards Tyler Graovac and Jordan Schroeder each handing out two assists, Iowa falls in the season opener. Defenseman Jon Blum and forward Michael Keranen each scored a power-play goal in the defeat. Rampage goalie Dan Ellis (1-0-0) made 23 saves, securing the win down the stretch by helping his team kill off a five-on three power play in the last 2:23 regulation. Wild goalie Johan Gustafsson (0-1-0) stopped 36 of 39 shots in the loss. San Antonio's Garrett Wilson and Bobby Butler each scored in the win. Iowa concludes a two-game road at Texas (Cedar Park) on Saturday at 7 pm.
After a scoreless first period, the Rampage opened the scoring in the second period at 5:57 as Garrett Wilson gave his club a 1-0 lead. Center Vincent Trocheck and defenseman Alec Petrovic set up the play. Trocheck chipped a puck in front that Wilson swatted past Johan Gustafsson. Iowa countered with a power-play tally by rookie Michael Keranen at 8:35. Wild forwards Tyler Graovac and Jordan Schroeder cycled the puck in the Rampage zone. Schroeder played the puck in front and Keranen potted a rebound off the pads of goalie Dan Ellis for the 1-1 score. The Wild pushed in front 2-1 at 11:52 of the middle period off its second power-play goal of the evening. Schroeder and Graovac worked the puck out to the high slot for Jon Blum. The Iowa defenseman rifled a wrist shot through traffic and past Ellis for the one-goal lead. The Rampage managed to tie the game prior to the end of the period, scoring a power-play goal with eight seconds remaining in the period. Rookie Rocco Grimaldi slipped a pass to Marc Mancari, who found Bobby Butler by the far post. Butler buried his first goal of the season, tying the game 2-2 after two periods of play.
San Antonio reclaimed the lead at 9:19 of the third period, as Mark Mancari scored his first goal of the year. The veteran winger snapped a shot from the right wing wall that found a way past Gustafsson for the 3-2 lead. Forward John McFarland and defenseman Alex Petrovic each had an assist on the play.
Iowa concludes a two-game road trip in Texas. The Wild stops in Cedar Park, TX to face the defending Calder Cup Champion Texas Stars on Saturday, Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. Iowa hosts Opening Weekend on Friday, Oct. 17 and Saturday, Oct 18 at 7 p.m. against the Milwaukee Admirals. The first 5,000 fans to Friday's game will receive a 2014-15 Magnetic Schedule, compliments of Hicklin Garage Doors. Fans may also enjoy a $2 Beer Night, presented by 100.3 The Bus. On Saturday, the team celebrates Local Heroes Night and the first 5,000 fans will be handed an Iowa Wild 2014-15 poster schedule. The annual Guns-N-Hoses game takes place on Saturday, Oct. 18 with games at 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. at Wells Fargo Arena.
The Iowa Wild 2014-15 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and begins on the road Oct. 10 in San Antonio. Fans may purchase seats to the Home Opener on Friday, Oct. 17 against the Milwaukee Admirals at Wells Fargo Arena. Season tickets to see the Wild play at Wells Fargo Arena start at just $9 per game. For more information on tickets, including ticket plans and group seating, please contact the Wild ticket office by calling 515-564-8700 or go to www.iowawild.com .
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 10, 2014
- San Antonio Slips Past Iowa 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Drop Season Opener in Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Blank Griffins 4-0 in Season Opener - Cleveland Monsters
- IceCaps Fall Short in Season Opener - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2014-15 Upstate University Hospital Opening Night Roster - Syracuse Crunch
- D Shayne Taker Reassigned to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Canada's National Men's Team Management Group Named For 2014 Deutschland Cup And 2014 Spengler Cup - Texas Stars
- Wolves Add Sopel and Longpre Before Opening Night - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Open 21st Season Saturday at Allstate Arena - Chicago Wolves
- Gordon, Powe, Stortini Named Phantoms Captains - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Barons Submit Opening Night Roster - Oklahoma City Barons
- Bulldogs Announce Opening Night Roster - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Assign Three Players to Elmira - Rochester Americans
- American Hockey League's 79th Season Begins Tonight - AHL
- Worcester Sharks Announce 2014-15 Regular Season Roster - Worcester Sharks
- IceHogs Announce Opening Night Roster - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Announce 2014-15 Opening Day Roster & Broadcast Schedule - Toronto Marlies
- Canadiens Assign Forward Tim Bozon to the Kootenay Ice - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers Recall Michael Kostka from Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monarchs Finalize Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Hershey Bears Announce Opening Night Roster - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Name Gabriel Dumont 13th Captain in Team History - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Comets Announce Opening Night Roster - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Reveal Roster, Start Season Tonight in Providence - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Announce 2014-15 Opening Night Roster - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.