Bridgeport Islanders Face Belleville Senators in Ontario Tonight
March 24, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Islanders News Release
BELLEVILLE, Ont. - Chris Terry, Andy Andreoff and Erik Brown return to their home province of Ontario this evening as the Bridgeport Islanders (29-25-7-1) continue a four-game road trip against the Belleville Senators (27-28-6-1) at 7:05 p.m. inside CAA Arena. Less than 48 hours ago, the Islanders made their lone trip to Quebec this season and defeated the Laval Rocket, 5-3, to sweep the two-game series. Montreal native Arnaud Durandeau scored twice and was named the AHL's Second Star of the Night, while Andreoff, Kyle MacLean and Paul Thompson each scored once and added an assist. Cory Schneider (18-8-3) made a season-high 42 saves. The Islanders closed to within two points of Lehigh Valley for fifth place in the Atlantic Division and now sit three points ahead of seventh-place Hartford.
GAME AT A GLANCE
Tonight's tilt is the second and final meeting between the Islanders and Senators this season, and the only matchup in Ontario. Bridgeport won the first game 5-1 on Feb. 23rd, when William Dufour scored twice and Reece Newkirk's first AHL goal stood as the game winner. Twelve different Islanders had at least one point, including Andy Andreoff and Dennis Cholowski who earned two assists each. Grant Hutton and Ruslan Iskhakov added goals and Cory Schneider made 32 saves. Tonight marks the Islanders' final contest against a North Division team this season.
VIEW FROM BELLEVILLE
The Senators hold the fifth and final playoff spot in the North Division, one point ahead of Laval and just two points better than Cleveland. However, Belleville is just two points behind fourth-place Rochester in the tight playoff race. The Senators have been off since Sunday when they fell to Cleveland 5-3 at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Roby Jarventie, Cole Reinhardt and Jacob Larsson each scored, while Antoine Bibeau made 31 saves. Belleville opens a two-game homestand tonight, entering the contest on a three-game win streak at CAA Arena.
HELGESON TIES TEAM RECORD
Seth Helgeson is expected to play his 368th game with the organization tonight, tying Mark Wotton's franchise record from 2006-11. Wotton was Bridgeport's captain during each of those five seasons and no one had come close to his 368 games played until now. Tonight marks Helgeson's 586th career AHL game between Bridgeport and the Albany Devils. He is one of two players to appear in all 62 games so far this season (along with Jeff Kubiak). Helgeson made his Bridgeport debut on Oct. 7, 2017 and has 93 points (15g, 78a) since then.
ANDREOFF HITS 30
Pickering, Ontario native Andy Andreoff has six goals in his last five games including his AHL-leading 30th goal of the season on Wednesday. It was also his team-leading 12th goal on the power play, which gave Bridgeport the lead in a game they never trailed. Andreoff is one goal ahead of Texas' Riley Barber, Rockford's Rocco Grimaldi and Calgary's Matthew Phillips for most in the league. Only Charles Hudon (Colorado) and Michael Carcone (Tucson) have more power-play goals. He is second on the Islanders with 53 points (30g, 23a) in 59 games, trailing only Brampton, Ontario native Chris Terry. Terry has 10 points (2g, 8a) in his last eight games and is eighth in the AHL's scoring race (61 points).
Collin Adams is on a team-best and AHL career-high four-game point streak (2g, 2a)... Ruslan Iskhakov has five points (2g, 3a) in his last seven games and continues to lead all AHL rookies in scoring (48 points)... Arnaud Durandeau has four goals and seven points in his last eight games.
New York Islanders (37-27-8): Last 7-2 W vs. Toronto, Tuesday -- Next: Tonight at Columbus, 7 p.m. ET
Worcester Railers (32-28-3-0): Last: 3-1 L vs. Adirondack, Wednesday -- Next: Tonight at Adirondack, 7 p.m. ET
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2023
- Griffins Complete Comeback Over Iowa, Move Within Eight Points of Playoffs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Mount Comeback, Wild Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Defeat - Iowa Wild
- Arvid Holm Notches 24 Saves and Home Victory - Manitoba Moose
- Slow Start Downs Hogs in 6-2 Loss to Manitoba - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Rally In Second Period For Shootout Win Over Bears - Rochester Americans
- Islanders Top Senators - Bridgeport Islanders
- Cuylle's Hat Trick Leads Wolf Pack Past Thunderbirds in Thrilling 6-5 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Secure High-Energy 3-2 Overtime Win Against Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Stun T-Birds, 6-5 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Admirals Win Fourth Straight Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Americans - Hershey Bears
- Comets Handle Crunch at Home, Win 4-3 - Utica Comets
- Game Day - SD vs CGY - Calgary Wranglers
- Nathan Smith Recalled by Arizona Coyotes - Tucson Roadrunners
- Pooch Party to Take Place on March 26 - Charlotte Checkers
- Join the Stars for Military Appreciation Weekend - Texas Stars
- Series Preview: March 24 & 25 vs. CVF - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins Sign Dylan St. Cyr to ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dallas Recalls Murray and Loans Poirier Back to Texas - Texas Stars
- Bears Send Stevenson and Maass to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Open Final Three-In-Three Weekend with 'I-91 Rivalry' Matchup - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Grand Rapids Griffins - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears at Americans, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Belleville Senators in Ontario Tonight - Bridgeport Islanders
- Hogs Look to Keep Pace in Playoff Standings Tonight in Manitoba - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Islanders Stories
- Bridgeport Islanders Hiring Gameday and Promotional Positions
- New York Islanders Sign Liukas
- Former Bridgeport Forward Anders Lee Named Finalist for King Clancy Memorial Trophy
- Bridgeport Islanders Announce Home Opener and Six Guaranteed Dates
- New York Islanders Sign Forwards MacLean and Kuefler