Brady Returns to Haunt RubberDucks
Former Akron RubberDucks left-hander Sean Brady (5-12), released by the Cleveland Indians earlier this season, held his former club to one run in seven innings, and the Altoona Curve scored eight unanswered runs over the third through fifth innings on the way to an 8-1 victory and third straight win at Peoples Natural Gas Field on Wednesday night.
The RubberDucks held a 1-0 lead entering the bottom of the third inning, when shortstop Oneil Cruz hit a one-out infield single, and left-hander Adam Scott (4-5) walked the next two batters. After designated hitter Logan Hill flied out to right field with the bases loaded, first baseman Jerrick Suiter hit an 0-2 pitch for a two-out, two-run single to left field that gave Altoona the lead. Right fielder Bralin Jackson added an RBI single to left field to make it 3-1. The RubberDucks never put the tying run on base for the rest of the game.
Scott worked around two hits and a walk in the first two innings but was removed with two outs in the third inning, his shortest of 13 Eastern League starts. Left-hander Ben Krauth finished the inning but allowed left fielder Chris Sharpe's two-run home run in the fourth inning. Cleveland Indians right-hander Danny Salazar, pitching his second rehab outing of the series, allowed three runs on three hits and two walks in two-thirds of an inning. Right-hander Robert Broom (1 1/3 innings), left-hander Anthony Gose and right-hander Argenis Angulo (one inning each) provided scoreless relief.
The RubberDucks took their first lead of the series in the second inning. Designated hitter Trenton Brooks hit a leadoff single to right field. First baseman Nellie Rodriguez hit a one-out single to left field, and second baseman Alexis Pantoja hit an RBI single to right field. A walk loaded the bases before Brady got a strikeout and flyout to end the inning.
Broom has pitched eight straight scoreless outings (12 1/3 innings) and has a 0.76 ERA (3 ER in 35 2/3 innings) in the Eastern League...Brady is 1-1 in two starts against his former organization this season...Akron's run snapped a scoreless drought of 23 innings, matching its longest this season...Altoona leads the season series, 13-4, and was the last team to sweep a four-game series over Akron (April 4-7 opening series at Canal Park)...Time of game: 2:35...Attendance: 3,850.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks conclude their series in Altoona at 6:00 p.m. EDT Thursday. Akron LHP Sam Hentges (2-12, 5.28) is scheduled to face Curve LHP Cam Vieaux (3-4, 2.47). The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. Tickets for RubberDucks home games are available at akronrubberducks.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Fightins Clinch Playoff Berth - Reading Fightin Phils
- Moniak hits Fightins back to playoffs for first time since 2016 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Gold, Nevin, Money in the Bank in Yard Goats Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- Senators Can't Get Going after Delay - Harrisburg Senators
- Squirrels Sweep Doubleheader over SeaWolves - Erie SeaWolves
- Phils Clinch Playoff Spot with 2-1 Win over Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Sweep SeaWolves in Wednesday Double-Header - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Jannis Tosses Complete Game, Fans 10 in Ponies' Win over Sea Dogs - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Brady Returns to Haunt RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Offense, Brady Lead Curve to Third Straight Win - Altoona Curve
- Binghamton with a 7-2 Win on Wednesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats - Thunder Game Postponed Due to Rain Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Thunder and Fisher Cats Rained Out - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #135: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (28-41, 63-71) vs. Portland Sea Dogs (31-34, 62-74) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Jose Azocar Named Eastern League Rookie of the Year - Erie SeaWolves
- Matt Manning Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Year - Erie SeaWolves
- Erie's Matt Manning Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Year - EL
- Erie's Jose Azocar Named Eastern League Rookie of the Year - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 28th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.