Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kent Johnson from Monsters
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters, top affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, announced Thursday that the Blue Jackets recalled forward Kent Johnson from the Monsters. In eight appearances for the Blue Jackets this season, Johnson posted 1-2-3 and added 5-10-15 with a +5 rating in ten appearances for Cleveland in the first AHL action of his career.
A 6'1", 167 lb. left-shooting native of Port Moody, BC, Johnson, 21, was selected by Columbus in the first round (fifth overall) of the 2021 NHL Entry Draft. In 96 career NHL appearances, all for the Blue Jackets, spanning parts of three seasons from 2021-23, Johnson collected 17-29-46 with 16 penalty minutes. Prior to his professional career, Johnson contributed 17-47-64 with ten penalty minutes and a +41 rating in 58 career NCAA appearances for the University of Michigan spanning two seasons from 2020-22. Johnson helped Michigan claim the 2021-22 Big Ten Championship and was named to the 2020-21 Big Ten All-Rookie Team. Before college, Johnson tallied 61-86-147 with 40 penalty minutes in 111 appearances for the BCHL's Trail Smoke Eaters spanning parts of three seasons from 2017-20.
In 2019-20, Johnson earned the Bob Fenton Trophy as the BCHL's Most Sportsmanlike Player, the Vern Dye Memorial Trophy as BCHL MVP, and the Brett Hull Trophy as the BCHL's top scorer. Johnson was also named to the 2018-19 BCHL All-Rookie Team. Internationally, Johnson helped Canada claim the Gold Medal at the 2021-22 IIHF U20 World Junior Championship and the Silver Medal at the 2021-22 IIHF World Championship. Johnson also represented Canada at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2023
- Bojangles Game Preview: December 1 vs. Hershey - Charlotte Checkers
- Abbotsford Canucks vs Laval Rocket Series Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- San Diego Gulls Announce Schedule Change - San Diego Gulls
- Syracuse Crunch to Provide Complimentary Sensory Kits Courtesy of Quadrant Laboratories - Syracuse Crunch
- Utica Comets and Turning Stone Resort Casino to Host Knockout Poker Tournament - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack Set to Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday Night - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Affiliate Report - November 2023 - Charlotte Checkers
- LA Kings, Anaheim Ducks Bring Freeway Faceoff Rivalry to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Wolf Pack Weekend Preview: November 30th, 2023 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Malinski Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kent Johnson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Recall Pekar and Digiacinto from Loan to Cincinnati Cyclones - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'Excited to Get Back to It' - Calgary Wranglers
- Leon Gawanke Leads the Way as Barracuda Beat Firebirds for the First Time Ever - San Jose Barracuda
- Henderson Drops Contest to Bakersfield in Shootout - Henderson Silver Knights
- Gulls Downed By Stars In Overtime, 6-5 - San Diego Gulls
- Stars Stave Off Gulls For Overtime Victory - Texas Stars
- Condors Edge Knights 3 in Shootout - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Unleash Offense, Treat Fans and Dogs to 6-1 Win over Wolves
- Monsters Come up Short in 4-1 Loss to Wolves
- Monsters Embark on Homestand Welcoming Fans and Four-Legged Fans Alike
- Monsters Skate Away with Exciting 4-3 Overtime Win Against Marlies
- Late Equalizer Earns Monsters Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Bruins