Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.)
May 24, 2019 | 7:05 p.m. ET | Coca-Cola Park | Allentown, PA | Game # 44| Away Game # 23
BUFFALO BISONS (18-24, 4th, -5.5 North) at LEHIGH VALLEY IRONPIGS (24-19, 1st, +0.5 North)
RHP Andrew Sopko (0-1, 3.27) vs. RHP Tyler Viza (0-3, 4.78)
Radio: ESPN 1520 AM, TuneIn App, Bisons.com TV: MiLB.tv
This evening the Bisons and the IronPigs open up their three- game series at Coca-Cola Park. In their last meeting at Buffalo the IronPigs took two out of three from the Herd. The Bisons look to take the first game of the series in what is the start to the second half of the road trip. Following this three-game set Buffalo returns home for a series against the Syracuse Mets.
Last Game: BUF 4, ROC 3
With a 2-2 tie going into the ninth inning Buffalo scored two runs in the top which was enough to hold off the one scored by Rochester in the winning effort. The Bisons scored one run in the third off of a Teoscar Hernandez home run to go along with one in the fifth and two in the ninth all due to Andy Burns' RBIs. The Red Wings put up two runs in the second off of a Wilin Rosario home run and one more in the ninth via another Rosario RBI.
Lehigh Valley (2-4)
The Bisons and the IronPigs have met twice this year already and Lehigh Valley has taken both series wins. Buffalo will look to secure their second series win on this road trip and improve upon their road record. The teams will meet again in June back in the Nickel City 6/7-6/9.
Andrew Sopko takes the mound in his first start against the IronPigs. He enters the game with a 0-1 record while carrying a 3.27 ERA. After allowing nine hits in 5.1 IP against Louisville in his last start Sopko will look to make a strong showing on the road and earn his first win on the year.
Andy Burns had a high quality performance, going 3-3 with two walks in the win. His day was highlighted by an RBI-single in
the fifth and another in the ninth that brought in two runners. He improved his batting average to .292 and brought his RBI total up
to 15 on the season.
The Bisons' DH scored the first run in the game for Buffalo with a solo home run in the third inning. He also picked up a run scored in the ninth to cap off his 2-5 performace.
In Sean Reid-Foley's longest start of the season he picked up the win while tossing 8.0 IP and allowing just two runs off of four hits. The strong start made him the team leader in IP, strikeouts, and quality starts.
Blue Jays Update
Toronto (20-30) dropped the final game of a four-game series with the Boston Red Sox 8-2 on Thursday afternoon. Justin Smoak hit his eighth home run of the year and Clayton Richard threw 4.0 IP while allowing just one ER in the losing effort. Toronto opens up a three-game home series against the visiting San Diego Padres with a 7:07 p.m. game on Friday night.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Hot Start Leads Knights Past Bulls 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Hanson homers twice as Buffalo beats Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Match Gwinnett Record with Six Homers in 13-7 Rout of Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Nine Run Inning Powers Toledo to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Kramer's Double Propels Indy to Win, IL West Lead - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Sweep Doubleheader vs. Red Wings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Longhi Homers in 12-6 Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- PawSox Sweep Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Breyvic Valera's go-ahead grand slam in the 8th inning puts RailRiders ahead late - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Lead Crumbles in Eighth Inning as RailRiders Win, 6-5 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Memorial Day Weekend Homstand Continues Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (25-18) at Columbus Clippers (26-18) - Indianapolis Indians
- Biggio Receives First Big League Call - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (16-27) at Louisville Bats (18-28) - Louisville Bats
- Triple-A All-Star Voting Underway - Indianapolis Indians
- Triple-A All-Star Fan Voting Underway - IL
- Key Red Barons Reunion Weekend Details Announced - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dickerson Set for Rehab Assignment with Indianapolis - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Close May, Open June with Massive Homestand - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Buffalo Bisons Are Northeast Division Champions
- With Chance to Clinch, Bisons Fall to Red Wings, 5-3
- Bisons to Welcome Thunders' Official Bat Dog 'Rookie' to Dog Day, September 22
- Bisons Blast Red Wings, 20-3, to Move One Step Away from Division Title
- Bisons Defeat Rochester 5-4, Magic Number for Division Now 2