Nine Run Inning Powers Toledo to Victory
Louisville, Ky. - A nine run first inning propelled the Toledo Mud Hens to a 12-6 victory on Friday night over the Louisville Bats at Louisville Slugger Field.
The Mud Hens (16-27) tallied 15 hits as it defeated the Bats (18-28) behind an outstanding performance at the dish.
Mikie Mahtook led Toledo going 4 for 5 with a double, RBI and two runs scored. Jeimer Candelario shined as well with a grand slam going 2 for 3 with four RBI and two runs scored. Willi Castro, Victor Reyes and Jake Rogers each recorded two hits as well.
The Mud Hens scored nine runs in the first inning including a grand slam by Candelario that fell over the right field wall. Toledo also had eight singles and two free passes as 14 batters went to the plate in route to a commanding 9-0 lead after one frame.
Toledo plated another run in the fourth inning as Mahtook doubled and scored on a Reyes single.
The sixth inning brought more runs for the Hens as Rogers doubled to bring in W. Castro followed by Daz Cameron sending a single to left field to bring in Mahtook. The Mud Hens held a 12-0 advantage after the top of the sixth.
Louisville found the scoreboard in the sixth inning as Nick Longhi hit a three-run home run over the fence in left-center field to bring the Bats within nine.
RHP Spenser Watkins made the start for Toledo and delivered the first six innings allowing three earned runs on six hits while walking one and fanning four.
Then Louisville plated three additional runs in the seventh inning as Toledo pitching allowed a hit by pitch and three walks in the inning. The Mud Hens held onto a 12-6 lead entering the eighth.
The Mud Hens held onto the six run lead as it defeated the Bats.
Toledo and Louisville will face off again tomorrow with first pitch from Louisville Slugger Field set for 6:30 p.m.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 1 for 5, RBI, run scored
6. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP (IL)
7. IF Willi Castro: 2 for 4, two runs scored
10. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP (IL)
12. C Jake Rogers: 2 for 5, double, RBI, run scored
16. OF Jacob Robson: DNP
20. OF Danny Woodrow: 1 for 5, RBI, run scored
23. RHP John Schreiber: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
25. RHP Zac Houston: DNP
28. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
29. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: DNP
? Harold Castro's tremendous 20 game hitting streak came to an end as he went 0-5 from the plate. The International League hitting streak record is 43 games and the team record is 23.
? Toledo set a season high for runs in an inning scoring nine in the opening frame of tonight's game.
? Spenser Watkins had a great start going six innings allowing six hits, three earned runs and one walk while striking out four.
? The Mud Hens are now in third place in the division ahead of the Louisville Bats.
? Eight Toledo players recorded an RBI including four from Jeimer Candelario and three from Victor Reyes. Eight of the nine batters in the Hens line up recorded a hit as the team tallied 15.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Hot Start Leads Knights Past Bulls 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Hanson homers twice as Buffalo beats Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Match Gwinnett Record with Six Homers in 13-7 Rout of Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Nine Run Inning Powers Toledo to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Kramer's Double Propels Indy to Win, IL West Lead - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Sweep Doubleheader vs. Red Wings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Longhi Homers in 12-6 Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- PawSox Sweep Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Breyvic Valera's go-ahead grand slam in the 8th inning puts RailRiders ahead late - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Lead Crumbles in Eighth Inning as RailRiders Win, 6-5 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Memorial Day Weekend Homstand Continues Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (25-18) at Columbus Clippers (26-18) - Indianapolis Indians
- Biggio Receives First Big League Call - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (16-27) at Louisville Bats (18-28) - Louisville Bats
- Triple-A All-Star Voting Underway - Indianapolis Indians
- Triple-A All-Star Fan Voting Underway - IL
- Key Red Barons Reunion Weekend Details Announced - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dickerson Set for Rehab Assignment with Indianapolis - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Close May, Open June with Massive Homestand - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.