Breyvic Valera's go-ahead grand slam in the 8th inning puts RailRiders ahead late
SYRACUSE, NY - Breyvic Valera crushed a grand slam in the 8th inning with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders behind, as a sleepy offense came to life in the latter innings to complete a thrilling comeback win over the Syracuse Mets, 6-5.
Syracuse starting pitcher Chris Mazza dazzled over 7.0 innings and scattered only four baserunners, three hits and a walk. He was called up from Double-A Binghamton prior to the start and was consistently sitting 93-94 MPH with his fastball as he weaved his way through the SWB lineup time and again. The one blemish came in the 2nd inning when Ryan McBroom hit the first of his two home runs in the game in the 2nd inning.
Later in the game with the RailRiders behind 4-1, McBroom blasted an opposite-field shot off P.J. Conlon to spark the rally. Five batters later, Valera came through with the heroics. He now has five home runs in 10 games with the RailRiders and has reached safely in 9-of-10 games since being claimed off waivers from the San Francisco Giants.
Down the stretch, Joe Harvey entered for the final four outs and struck out the side in 9th inning to secure the win and notch his third save of the season. At 3:04 before a crowd of 6,310 fans, it was the fourth straight game that the RailRiders have played in over three hours.
The win marked the third straight for the RailRiders and they are now at their high-water mark five games above .500 on the season. It also is the first time that the RailRiders are in possession of first place in the IL North Division.
The RailRiders and Mets continue their four-game series Saturday at NBT Bank Stadium with a 6:35 p.m first pitch. Pregame coverage with Adam Giardino begins at 6:05 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Hot Start Leads Knights Past Bulls 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Hanson homers twice as Buffalo beats Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Match Gwinnett Record with Six Homers in 13-7 Rout of Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Nine Run Inning Powers Toledo to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Kramer's Double Propels Indy to Win, IL West Lead - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Sweep Doubleheader vs. Red Wings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Longhi Homers in 12-6 Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- PawSox Sweep Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Breyvic Valera's go-ahead grand slam in the 8th inning puts RailRiders ahead late - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Lead Crumbles in Eighth Inning as RailRiders Win, 6-5 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Memorial Day Weekend Homstand Continues Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (25-18) at Columbus Clippers (26-18) - Indianapolis Indians
- Biggio Receives First Big League Call - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (16-27) at Louisville Bats (18-28) - Louisville Bats
- Triple-A All-Star Voting Underway - Indianapolis Indians
- Triple-A All-Star Fan Voting Underway - IL
- Key Red Barons Reunion Weekend Details Announced - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dickerson Set for Rehab Assignment with Indianapolis - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Close May, Open June with Massive Homestand - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- All-Star Mini-Plans on Sale Now
- RailRiders Unveil First Batch of 2020 Theme Nights
- 2020 Fireworks Nights Set
- RailRiders unveil 2020 bobbleheads with a legendary feel
- Yankees Announce RailRiders 2020 Field Staff