PawSox Sweep Wings
The Rochester Red Wings dropped a Friday night doubleheader to the Pawtucket Red Sox by identical 6-1 scores at Frontier Field. The series continues with a 7:05 p.m. game Saturday; the Wings will take the field as the Rochester Hustlers, and fireworks follow the game.
Pawtucket got themselves on the board first against Red Wings' starter Lewis Thorpe. In the third inning Rusney Castillo hit an RBI single scoring Oscar Hernandez to make the score 1-0.
Thorpe finished the day throwing 4.0 innings, while allowing five hits, one earned run, and striking out four. He threw 77 pitches, 49 for strikes.
The PawSox extended their against Red Wings' reliever Preston Guilmet in the fifth with an RBI double off the bat of Jantzen Witte. Later in the inning, Sam Travis hit an RBI single scoring Witte and giving Pawtucket a 3-0 lead.
Guilmet found himself in more trouble in the sixth. A pair of RBI singles from from Gorkys Hernandez and Mike Miller, and an error allowed the PawSox to plate three runs and take a 6-0 lead. Andrew Vasquez came on in relief of Guilmet and escaped any further damage. After Guilmet gave up five runs in 1.1 innings, Vasquez threw 1.2 scoreless innings with three strikeouts.
Rochester was unable to score against Pawtucket starter Teddy Stankiewicz until the bottom of the sixth. John Andreoli led off the inning with his fifth home run of the season to make the score 6-1.
Stankiewicz finished his game throwing 6.0 innings, allowing three hits, one earned run, two walks, and striking out four. 55 of his 89 pitches were for strikes.
Jake Cave extended his on base streak to six games with his walk in the fourth. Tomas Telis and Nick Gordon also added in singles for the Wings.
Winning pitcher: Stankiewicz (2-3)
Losing pitcher: Thorpe (3-3)
The Paw Sox got things going early in the second inning against Red Wings' starter D.J. Baxendale. RBI singles from Juan Centeno and Mike Miller, and a sacrifice fly by Jantzen Witte gave Pawtucket a 3-0 lead.
Zack Weiss came on in relief in the third inning after Baxendale threw 2.0 innings, allowing five hits, three earned runs, and one walk while striking out one. Pawtucket extended their lead even further in the third after Centeno hit a double with the bases loaded scoring three runs making it a 6-0 game.
The Red Wings were unable to score against Pawtucket's starter Jeremy Bleich. He threw 3.0 innings, allowed one hit, no runs, one walk, and struck out two. He threw 37 pitches, 22 for strikes.
Rochester cut into the lead against reliever Adam Lau in the bottom of the fourth. Nick Gordon led off the inning with a single, followed by walks to Drew Maggi and LaMonte Wade Jr. to load the bases. Jake Cave hit into a double play allowing Gordon to score, making it a 6-1 game.
Weiss gave up three runs in 2.1 innings before Ryan Eades came on in relief during the fifth. Eades threw 1.2 scoreless innings, allowing one hit and striking out one.
Trevor Hildenberger pitched the seventh inning,allowing one hit.
Winning pitcher: Kelley (4-2)
Losing pitcher: Baxendale (1-2)
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Hot Start Leads Knights Past Bulls 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Hanson homers twice as Buffalo beats Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Match Gwinnett Record with Six Homers in 13-7 Rout of Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Nine Run Inning Powers Toledo to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Kramer's Double Propels Indy to Win, IL West Lead - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Sweep Doubleheader vs. Red Wings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Longhi Homers in 12-6 Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- PawSox Sweep Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Breyvic Valera's go-ahead grand slam in the 8th inning puts RailRiders ahead late - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Lead Crumbles in Eighth Inning as RailRiders Win, 6-5 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Memorial Day Weekend Homstand Continues Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (25-18) at Columbus Clippers (26-18) - Indianapolis Indians
- Biggio Receives First Big League Call - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (16-27) at Louisville Bats (18-28) - Louisville Bats
- Triple-A All-Star Voting Underway - Indianapolis Indians
- Triple-A All-Star Fan Voting Underway - IL
- Key Red Barons Reunion Weekend Details Announced - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dickerson Set for Rehab Assignment with Indianapolis - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Close May, Open June with Massive Homestand - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Wings Host Food Drive to Benefit Boys & Girls Club
- With Announcements, More MiLB Teams Left Twisting in the Wind
- Washington Nationals Become the Red Wings New Major League Affiliate
- Red Wings Mystery Boxes for Sale
- Red Wings and Twins Affiliation Will Not be Renewed