Biggio Receives First Big League Call
The Toronto Blue Jays today announced that they have purchased the contract of Bisons INF/OF Cavan Biggio for the prospect's Major League debut. Toronto also announced that they have recalled INF/OF Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and LHP Thomas Pannone and optioned INF Richard Urena and OF Billy McKinney to the Bisons.
Biggio, 24, has been one of the best hitters in the International League through the first two months of the season. The Triple-A rookie ranks 2nd in the IL in on-base pct. (.445) and his batting average, currently at team-high .307 through 42 games, has never dipped below the .300-mark. He leads the Bisons with 34 walks compared to only 28 strikeouts while also topping all Herd hitters with six home runs, 26 RBI and 23 runs scored. Biggio is also second on the club with five stolen bases in only six attempts.
Gurriel Jr. has also hit extremely well in his 30 games with the Herd. He leads the team with 13 doubles and 17 extra-base hits while hitting .273 with 26 RBI. He has averaged .419 (13-31) while hitting with runners in scoring position this season in Buffalo. Pannone returns to Toronto after appearing in only one game (2.2IP, 2R, 3K) for the Bisons
Video: Gurriel 2 run Double leads to more runs for Bisons
Urena returns to the Bisons where he has played 15 games this season and hit .291 with 14 RBI. McKinney, who played 20 games with the Herd last season, had a team-high 11 doubles in 41 games with the Blue Jays this season. He has also hit .229 with three homers and nine RBI since breaking camp with Toronto.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Hot Start Leads Knights Past Bulls 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Hanson homers twice as Buffalo beats Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Match Gwinnett Record with Six Homers in 13-7 Rout of Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Nine Run Inning Powers Toledo to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Kramer's Double Propels Indy to Win, IL West Lead - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Sweep Doubleheader vs. Red Wings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Longhi Homers in 12-6 Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- PawSox Sweep Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Breyvic Valera's go-ahead grand slam in the 8th inning puts RailRiders ahead late - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mets Lead Crumbles in Eighth Inning as RailRiders Win, 6-5 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Memorial Day Weekend Homstand Continues Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (25-18) at Columbus Clippers (26-18) - Indianapolis Indians
- Biggio Receives First Big League Call - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (16-27) at Louisville Bats (18-28) - Louisville Bats
- Triple-A All-Star Voting Underway - Indianapolis Indians
- Triple-A All-Star Fan Voting Underway - IL
- Key Red Barons Reunion Weekend Details Announced - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dickerson Set for Rehab Assignment with Indianapolis - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Close May, Open June with Massive Homestand - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Malacaro Joins Blue Jays Minor League Announcers in 'Around the Nest'
- Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation Donates $20,000 to City of Buffalo's COVID-19 Initiatives
- Mayor Byron Brown Thanks the Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation for Supporting Community During COVID-19 Crisis
- Bisons Mother's Day Sale Includes 25% OFF
- May 31st Micah Hyde Charity Softball Game at Sahlen Field Postponed