Bears Sign Travis Boyd to ATO
HERSHEY, Pa. - The Hershey Bears announced today that forward Travis Boyd has been signed to an amateur tryout agreement. The announcement was made by Bears president/general manager Doug Yingst.
Boyd, 21, comes to Hershey following the completion of his fourth year at the University of Minnesota (NCAA). He set career single-season highs in goals (19) and points (41) in his final season, finishing second among his teammates in both categories. In the Big Ten Championship game on March 21, Boyd scored two goals and earned the game's first star in helping the Gophers defeat the University of Michigan.
In his junior year of 2013-14, Boyd ranked fourth among his teammates with 32 points (nine goals, 23 assists) in 41 games, helping the Gophers reach the NCAA National Championship game. He also was named an all-WCHA Academic honoree in his sophomore year of 2012-13.
The 5-11, 183-pound native of Hopkins, Minnesota amassed 96 points (32 goals, 64 assists) in 148 career games with the Gophers.
Prior to his collegiate career, Boyd won a gold medal in 2011 at the IIHF World Under-18 Championship. He also captured the gold at the 2010 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge with Team USA.
Boyd was selected by the Washington Capitals in the seventh round (177th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and was signed to a two-year entry-level contract on March 31.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2015
- Barons Fall to Rampage, 4-1 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall in Chicago, 7-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Get Bitten by IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Seven-Goal Outburst Moves Wolves Closer to Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- Campbell Sets Stars' Franchise Record in 6-4 Win Over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Rampage Topple Barons 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Outlast Wild 6-4 - Iowa Wild
- B-Sens Fall 7-4 in Final Meeting with Admirals - Binghamton Senators
- Bulldogs Fall to Comets 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Sharks Chomp out 1-0 Overtime Win in Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Put up Season-High Seven Goals in Win over Senators - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Bit by Sharks in OT, Lose 1-0 - Portland Pirates
- Comets a Perfect 10 After 3-1 Victory over Hamilton - Utica Comets
- Admirals Release MacMillan from PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Sabres Assign Schaller, Makarov to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Host Admirals Before Weekend Set in San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks to Host "Donate Life Night" on Friday, April 10 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Expecting to Set Single-Game Attendance Record on Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- Pucks & Paws Night this Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wild Promotes Brain Health and Player Saftey with STEM Night - Iowa Wild
- Springfield Falcons Ink Defenseman Dillon Heatherington to ATO, Release Forward Matthew Zay - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Fan Appreciation Night Caps Busy Week at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Adult Hockey 3-On-3 Cross-Ice Tournament Saturday, April 18 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs, Admirals Meet for Regular Season Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- IceCaps Season Tickets on Sale Saturday, April 11th - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Sign Travis Boyd to ATO - Hershey Bears
- WXRX, IceHogs to "Pack the House" on April 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- Capitals Recall Stanislav Galiev from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Sign Shamanski to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jarry Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ricoh Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Weekly: Hershey One Win Away from Advancing
- Bears Push Sound Tigers to the Brink in Game 3 Win
- Bears Sign Forward Andrew Cherniwchan to PTO
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 3)
- Capitals Re-Assign Goaltender Ilya Samsonov to Hershey