Monsters Fall in Chicago, 7-3
Andrew Agozzino scored twice, but the Lake Erie Monsters (31-27-8-4) fell to the Chicago Wolves (37-26-6-1) by a 7-3 score Tuesday night at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois. Colin Smith also scored for the Monsters, while Ben Street tallied two assists. The Monsters remain five points behind eighth place Milwaukee in the Western Conference playoff race, and they are back on the ice when they host Rochester at Quicken Loans Arena at 7:00 p.m. Thursday night. Thursday's game airs live on ESPN 850 WKNR.
Chicago bolted off to a 2-0 lead in the first 4:17 of the game. First, Adam Cracknell finished off a two-on-one rush for Chicago at 1:41 of the first period, and at 4:11 Joe Edmundson backhanded a centering feed from the top of the goal crease and slipped the puck under Monsters goalie Calvin Pickard. After several scoring chances in the first period, Andrew Agozzino converted on a power play for his 26th goal of the season at 14:51 of the first period. Ben Street slipped a pass out of the right corner to Agozzino rushing to the net, and Agozzino redirected the pass by Wolves goalie Matt Climie. Ben Youds also assisted on the Monsters first goal.
After a scoreless second period, Agozzino pulled the Monsters to a 2-2 tie with his team-leading 27th goal of the season. Street found Agozzino in front of the net, and Agozzino immediately sent the puck top-shelf for the tying goal. Reid Petryk also assisted on Agozzino's second goal of the game.
Yannick Veilleux netted a loose puck from the right circle for the Wolves at 3:52 of the third period to give Chicago a 3-2 lead, and Jeremy Welsh extended the Wolves lead to 4-2 at 10:34 of the third period. Colin Smith scored his 11th goal of the season on a rebound to pull the Monsters to within one at 12:50 of the third period with assists to Markus Lauridsen and Bruno Gervais, cutting the Chicago lead to 4-3.
The Monsters were unable to tie the game, as Chicago scored three times in the final 4:48 of the game. Welsh scored for a second time, cutting to the front of the net and jamming a puck past Pickard, and Edmundson and Brent Regner added shorthanded empty-netters for Chicago.
Pickard is 19-15-9 after the loss; he stopped 25 of 30 shots. Climie is 15-12-3 with the win for Chicago; he stopped 33 of 36.
The Monsters are back on the ice Thursday at home against Rochester, with the game starting at 7:00 p.m. Thursday's game airs live on ESPN 850 WKNR.
NOTES: The Monsters finish the eight-game season series against Chicago with a 5-3-0-0 record; the Monsters five-game win streak against Chicago snapped with Tuesday's loss... The Monsters are 14-14-5-2 on the road this season... The Monsters are 18-13-2-2 against the Midwest Division... Agozzino has 12 goals and 25 points in his last 16 games... Agozzino is now the Monsters all-time leader in power play goals with 19... Street has 15 assists and 18 points over his last 16 games... The Monsters were 1-4 on the power play, and Chicago was 0-3 on the man-advantage... Follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lakeeriemonsters, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/monstershockey .
Images from this story
Lake Erie Monsters vs. Chicago Wolves
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2015
- Barons Fall to Rampage, 4-1 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall in Chicago, 7-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Get Bitten by IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Seven-Goal Outburst Moves Wolves Closer to Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- Campbell Sets Stars' Franchise Record in 6-4 Win Over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Rampage Topple Barons 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Outlast Wild 6-4 - Iowa Wild
- B-Sens Fall 7-4 in Final Meeting with Admirals - Binghamton Senators
- Bulldogs Fall to Comets 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Sharks Chomp out 1-0 Overtime Win in Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Put up Season-High Seven Goals in Win over Senators - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Bit by Sharks in OT, Lose 1-0 - Portland Pirates
- Comets a Perfect 10 After 3-1 Victory over Hamilton - Utica Comets
- Admirals Release MacMillan from PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Sabres Assign Schaller, Makarov to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Host Admirals Before Weekend Set in San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks to Host "Donate Life Night" on Friday, April 10 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Expecting to Set Single-Game Attendance Record on Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- Pucks & Paws Night this Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wild Promotes Brain Health and Player Saftey with STEM Night - Iowa Wild
- Springfield Falcons Ink Defenseman Dillon Heatherington to ATO, Release Forward Matthew Zay - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Fan Appreciation Night Caps Busy Week at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Adult Hockey 3-On-3 Cross-Ice Tournament Saturday, April 18 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs, Admirals Meet for Regular Season Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- IceCaps Season Tickets on Sale Saturday, April 11th - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Sign Travis Boyd to ATO - Hershey Bears
- WXRX, IceHogs to "Pack the House" on April 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- Capitals Recall Stanislav Galiev from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Sign Shamanski to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jarry Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ricoh Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Launch Digital Fan Salute Week Presented by Rascal House
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season, Playoffs
- Monsters Sign Forward Matthew Struthers to AHL Contract
- Fans Invited to Relive this Season's Top Moments with 'Monsters Flashback'
- FOX Sports Ohio to Air Replay of Monsters' 2016 Championship-Clinching Game