Bulldogs Fall to Comets 3-1
UTICA, N.Y. - Hamilton Bulldogs forward Daniel Carr notched his team-leading 23rd goal of the season, but the 'Dogs (32-27-12-0) fell 3-1 to the Utica Comets (44-19-6-1) at Utica Memorial Auditorium on Wednesday night.
Utica forward Cory Conacher took a centring pass from forward Cal O'Reilly and opened the scoring with a wrist shot from the slot at 19:57 of the first period.
After a scoreless middle frame, Comets forward Nicklas Jensen found a loose puck at the right circle, spun and fired a shot past Bulldogs goaltender Mike Condon at 7:18 of the third period to give Utica a 2-0 lead. Forward Alex Friesen and Conacher drew assists.
Carr broke Utica goaltender Joacim Eriksson's shutout bid at 11:53 of the third period, with an assist from forward T.J. Hensick, but that's as close as the 'Dogs would get. Carr's tally padded his lead in goals among American Hockey League rookies, while Hensick's assist extended his current point streak to six games.
With less than five minutes to play, O'Reilly's cross-ice pass bounced off a Bulldogs defenceman and past Condon to give the Comets a 3-1 lead. Defencemen Adam Clendening and Frank Corrado had assists on the play.
Condon made 28 saves on 31 shots for the Bulldogs in the loss, while Eriksson stopped 28 of 29 shots for the Comets in the win.
Hamilton was 0-for-5 on the power play, while Utica went 0-for-2 on the man advantage.
The loss, combined with a Toronto Marlies' win, dropped the 'Dogs to 10th place in the Western Conference. Hamilton is now three points back of the eighth-place Milwaukee Admirals with five games to go in the regular season.
Dan Lawrie Insurance Premium Player of the Game (Hardest Working Player): Eric Tangradi
The Bulldogs will be back in action on Friday, April 10 when they'll visit the Texas Stars at Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, Texas at 8:30 p.m. ET. The 'Dogs will return home for their final AHL regular season game on Fan Appreciation Night, Saturday, April 18, when they'll host the Lake Erie Monsters at FirstOntario Centre at 7 p.m.
For more information on Hamilton Bulldogs flex tickets, group tickets, single-game tickets and 2015-16 season tickets, call 1-866-DOGS-TIX or visit hamiltonbulldogs.com.
Listen to all Bulldogs regular season and post-season games live on Hamilton's AM 900 CHML, on www.900chml.com or watch live on www.ahllive.com. Catch every Friday night home game live in high definition on Cable 14.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2015
- Barons Fall to Rampage, 4-1 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall in Chicago, 7-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Get Bitten by IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Seven-Goal Outburst Moves Wolves Closer to Playoffs - Chicago Wolves
- Campbell Sets Stars' Franchise Record in 6-4 Win Over Iowa - Texas Stars
- Rampage Topple Barons 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Outlast Wild 6-4 - Iowa Wild
- B-Sens Fall 7-4 in Final Meeting with Admirals - Binghamton Senators
- Bulldogs Fall to Comets 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Sharks Chomp out 1-0 Overtime Win in Portland - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Put up Season-High Seven Goals in Win over Senators - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Bit by Sharks in OT, Lose 1-0 - Portland Pirates
- Comets a Perfect 10 After 3-1 Victory over Hamilton - Utica Comets
- Admirals Release MacMillan from PTO - Norfolk Admirals
- Sabres Assign Schaller, Makarov to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Host Admirals Before Weekend Set in San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks to Host "Donate Life Night" on Friday, April 10 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Expecting to Set Single-Game Attendance Record on Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- Pucks & Paws Night this Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wild Promotes Brain Health and Player Saftey with STEM Night - Iowa Wild
- Springfield Falcons Ink Defenseman Dillon Heatherington to ATO, Release Forward Matthew Zay - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Fan Appreciation Night Caps Busy Week at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Adult Hockey 3-On-3 Cross-Ice Tournament Saturday, April 18 - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs, Admirals Meet for Regular Season Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- IceCaps Season Tickets on Sale Saturday, April 11th - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Sign Travis Boyd to ATO - Hershey Bears
- WXRX, IceHogs to "Pack the House" on April 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- Capitals Recall Stanislav Galiev from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Sign Shamanski to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jarry Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ricoh Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.