Bats Go Silent, LumberKings Drop Series
BOWLING GREEN, KY - The Clinton LumberKings bats feel silent in a series finale loss, 2-1, to the Bowling Green Hot Rods on Saturday night at Bowling Green Ballpark. Sean Reynolds doubled twice collecting a third of the LumberKings (17-17) hits but could not prevent their second straight series loss.
Bowling Green (21-15) received good pitching throughout the night with Alan Strong starting things with 6.1 innings of work. He earned the win for his time out - allowing just one run on five hits while walking none and striking out four.
George Soriano started for Clinton and threw the ball well over a five plus inning outing. He allowed two runs, one earned, on five hits while walking none and striking out four. The little offense Soriano (0-3) allowed was enough to hang him with the loss - his third straight.
The Hot Rods scored the game's first run in the bottom of the second inning. Chris Betts doubled to open the inning - moved to third on a wild pitch - and then scored on a passed ball that was charged to Will Banfield.
Bowling Green added their second run of the night in the bottom of the seventh inning. Wander Franco singled to leadoff and scored on a Kaleo Johnson double to right center.
Trailing 2-0, the LumberKings pushed across their only run of the night in the top of the seventh inning. Reynolds led the inning off with his first double of the night. J.D. Osborne was then hit by a pitch and both runners moved up a base on a wild pitch. The LumberKings could break out in the inning, instead they loaded the bases with one man out and scored their only run on a Ricardo Cespedes bases loaded walk.
Joel Peguero worked the final two innings for Bowling Green and earned his first save of the year for holding Clinton to just one hit.
The LumberKings will take tomorrow off before continuing their road trip with the first of three games against the Burlington Bees on Monday night. Clinton will throw lefty Manuel Rodriguez (2-1, 3.62) while the Bees will throw right-handed pitcher John Swanda (0-0, 0.00). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call at 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 6:15 p.m. (CDT) with the pregame show.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Conley's Six No-Hit Innings leads the Snappers to a Win - Beloit Snappers
- Fort Wayne Falls to Beloit in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Strong Shuts Down LumberKings in 2-1 Victory to Win Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bats Go Silent, LumberKings Drop Series - Clinton LumberKings
- Sands, Snyder Stand out in Narrow Defeat - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Top Dragons 4-1 on Saturday Night - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs and Peoria Chiefs Game Cancelled - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Rained out Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains End Road Trip with Narrow Loss - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Sweep Lugnuts - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin Closes Out Captains to Win Series - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Wrap up Trip with 8-2 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: May 13-15 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 11 at Beloit (Game 34) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Outfielder Steinmetz from Extended Spring Training - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: May 13-15 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Bats Boom in 9-4 Victory over Dragons - Burlington Bees
- Cubs Beat Chiefs 5-2 for Third Straight Win - South Bend Cubs
- Picantes' Ninth-Inning Rally Comes up Short - Lake County Captains
- Cantillo Starts Strong, and TinCaps Rally Late to Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers lose nail biter in late innings to TinCaps - Beloit Snappers
- 'Caps Roast Kernels in 8-1 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- Lawless Headlines Hot Stove Banquet
- Lawless to Lead LumberKings in 2020
- Broskowski Named New Voice of LumberKings
- Clinton LumberKings Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- LumberKings Respond to Major League Baseball's proposal to Eliminate 42 Teams