Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 5-3
Omaha designated hitter Eric Weiss smashed three hits and drove in two runs while the Storm Chasers stole five bases in support of starter Arnaldo Hernandez 's quality outing, however New Orleans left fielder Austin Dean clubbed a go-ahead two-run home run in the eighth in the Baby Cakes' 5-3 win over the Storm Chasers on Wednesday evening at the Shrine on Airline.
Dean also brought home New Orleans' first run with a run-scoring double to left as part of a three-run frame also highlighted by SS Yadiel Rivera 's RBI single. Weiss helped cut the deficit to one with an RBI single in the fourth following RF Jorge Bonifacio 's run-scoring knock, before tying the contest with another run-scoring knock in the eighth. Dean, though, would subsequently smash his two-run blast to center to put the Baby Cakes ahead for good.
Weiss' (3-4, 2 RBI) three knocks led all batters, with 2B Jecksson Flores (2-4, 2B, SB), RF Jorge Bonifacio (2-4, RBI) and CF Rudy Martin (2-4, 2 SB) all adding two hits each for the Storm Chasers. Omaha shortstop Adalberto Mondesi recorded a single while stealing a base in his second game with Omaha as part of his Major League Rehab Assignment. Dean (2-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI) was joined by CF Magneuris Sierra (2-4, R, 2B) in tallying multi-hit efforts.
Neither Hernandez (6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, BB, 5 K) nor New Orleans starter Pablo Lopez (6.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, ER, 0 BB, 5 K) factored in the final decisions despite throwing quality outings. Baby Cakes reliever Parker Bugg (2.0 IP, 2 H, R, ER, BB, 4 K) earned the win and Kyle Keller (1.0 IP, 2 K) notched his tenth save, while Storm Chasers southpaw Gabe Speier (1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are set to finish off their four-game set on Thursday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:00pm CT.
Omaha returns to Werner Park to wrap up the 2019 season with a seven-game homestand from August 26 through September 2, hosting the Nashville Sounds and Round Rock Express. First pitch of the series opener on Monday, August 26 is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Rickard leads River Cats in powerful win over El Paso - Sacramento River Cats
- Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Thursday's Chasers-'Cakes Game Cancelled - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baby Cakes Rained out Thursday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Thursday's OKC Dodgers Game Canceled Due to Inclement Weather - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds and Dodgers Cancelled in Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-68) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (59-69) - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies to Finish 2019 Season with Eight Home Games - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Ballpark to be Renamed First Horizon Park - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (61-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- Cubs Blank Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Iowa Silences San Antonio, Wins Series - Iowa Cubs
- Houston Astros RHP Josh James Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Head Groundskeeper Clint Belau Wins PCL Field of the Year Presidential Commendation Once Again - Albuquerque Isotopes
- $7.76 Tickets as Redbirds Wrap up Regular Season Home Schedule - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Doebler Named Sports Turf Manager of the Year - Las Vegas Aviators
- Las Vegas's Doebler Honored as Sports Turf Manager of the Year - PCL
- Tacoma Rainiers Announce 2020 Home Schedule for 61st Season at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Rainiers
- Las Vegas's LaRosa Named Athletic Trainer of the Year - Las Vegas Aviators
- Las Vegas's Larosa Named Athletic Trainer of the Year - PCL
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Pound Reno 18-4 for Fifth Straight Win and Series Sweep - Las Vegas Aviators
- Allen Caps Chichuahua Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Magic number shrinks to five despite defeat - Sacramento River Cats
- Garcia, Isotopes Staff Spin Gem in Shutout Win over the River Cats - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Pitcher Homers Again in Loss - Reno Aces
- "Ruff" ending in El Paso as Chihuahuas walk-off on Grizzlies 9-8 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Series Finale Between Rainiers and Salt Lake Cancelled in Fifth Inning - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.