Atlanta United Picks up Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw at Inter Miami CF
FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Atlanta United battled back to pick up a crucial point on the road Wednesday night, drawing Inter Miami CF 1-1. Jake Mulraney scored a dramatic 83rd minute equalizer that saw Atlanta erase what appeared to be a devastating Miami goal just three minutes prior. The draw keeps Atlanta above the playoff line with five matches remaining.
Brad Guzan made the first of five key saves in the sixth minute, denying Gonzalo HiguaÃn from a quick counterattack started by Lewis Morgan. Minutes later, Miles Robinson made a key block in the 14th minute, diving in the way of what appeared to be an open shot on goal from HiguaÃn.
Things stayed level until the 80th minute, where Atlanta had appeared to be on its way to securing a hard-fought goalless draw. However, Brek Shea finished off a long sequence by hammering home a cross from Morgan to give Inter Miami the lead.
Atlanta quickly answered, though, as Mulraney capped off a brilliant counterattack. Jürgen Damm combined with Cubo Torres to free Damm along the right wing. From there, Damm sped into the box, made a defender miss and squared a ball to a wide-open Mulraney, who beat John McCarthy with a low shot to the goalkeeper's right.
The match broke wide open for the final eight minutes with each team having a chance to find the game-winner. Ultimately, Atlanta (5-9-4, 19 points) was able to pick up the draw. It returns to action Sunday, Oct. 18 against Toronto FC at Rentschler Field at Pratt & Whitney Stadium in East Hartford, Connecticut (7:30 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 1, Inter Miami CF 1
Inter Miami CF Stadium
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Shots: 21-3 Inter Miami
Shots on Target: 6-1 Inter Miami
Corner kicks: 3-3
Fouls committed: 18-17 Inter Miami
Clearances: 15-3 Atlanta
Offside: 3-0 Inter Miami
Possession: 55-45 Inter Miami
Passing Accuracy: 85-81 Inter Miami
MCF - Brek Shea (Lewis Morgan) 80' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Jake Mulraney (Jürgen Damm) 83' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Eric Remedi (yellow) 8'
ATL - Brooks Lennon (yellow) 48'
ATL - Adam Jahn (yellow) 69'
ATL - Laurence Wyke (yellow) 86'
MCF - Wil Trapp (yellow) 90'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; George Bello, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes, Brooks Lennon (Laurence Wyke - 81'); Jeff Larentowicz © (Mo Adams - 57'), Eric Remedi, Emerson Hyndman; Manuel Castro (Jürgen Damm - 57'), Adam Jahn (Jake Mulraney - 70'), Jon Gallagher (Cubo Torres - 81')
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Fernando Meza, Mattheus Rossetto, Tyler Wolff,
INTER MIAMI CF STARTING LINEUP
John McCarthy; Ben Sweat, Leandro GonzÃ¡lez Pirez, NicolÃ¡s Figal, Dylan Nealis; Wil Trapp, Blaise Matuidi, Victor Ulloa (Federico HiguaÃn - 87'); Lewis Morgan, Gonzalo HiguaÃn, MatÃas Pellegrini (Brek Shea - 77')
Substitutes not used: Drake Callender, AJ Delagarza, Mikey Ambrose, Jay Chapman, Juan Agudelo, JuliÃ¡n Carranza, Robbie Robinson.
Ismail Elfath, (referee), Brian Poeschel, (assistant), Jose da Silva, (assistant), Elvis Osmanovic, (fourth), Younes Marrakchi (VAR).
Jake Mulraney came on in the 70th minute and scored his first goal with the club.
Brooks Lennon led the team each with six recoveries, six tackles won and three interceptions.
Anton Walkes had a game-high six clearances and four blocks.
Jeff Larentowicz made his 435th MLS Regular Season appearance, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (496).
Larentowicz also started his 396th MLS Regular Season match, third all-time by a field player behind Kyle Beckerman (461) and Chad Marshall (404).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2020
- Sporting Controversially Denied Late Equalizer in 1-0 Loss at Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Earns Shutout in 1-0 Win against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Nick Hagglund's game-winning goal lifts the Orange and Blue over Columbus - FC Cincinnati
- Mueller Scores Eighth of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw to NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Picks up Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw at Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Impact Felled by Revolution - Club de Foot Montreal
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution Defeat Montreal Impact, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- Fort Lauderdale CF Draws Forward Madison FC 2-2 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United vs. Chicago Fire FC Match Postponed - MLS
- MLS Announces Postponement of Tonight's Chicago Fire FC at Minnesota United FC Match - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United Match Versus Chicago Fire Postponed - Minnesota United FC
- Clement Diop Returns to France for Personal Reasons - Club de Foot Montreal
- Club Statement on Fairgrounds Stadium Ruling - Nashville SC
- RAVE Foundation Celebrates Opening of New Mini Pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac this Friday and Previews Sounders FC VOTE Tour - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Saphir Taider Transferred to Saudi Club Al Ain FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Higuain Brothers Become Latest to Feature on Same MLS Club: MLS Week 18 News & Notes - MLS
- LAFC Acquires 26-year-old Defender Jesus David Murillo - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines: City vs. NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Goalkeeper Beckham Sunderland as a Homegrown Player - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Sign Ralph Priso - Toronto FC
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- Delaware County and Philadelphia Union Host 3-Day Voter Service Center at Subaru Park - Philadelphia Union
- Free Flu Shots Offered Saturday, October 17 at Exposition Park Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face FC Cincinnati Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Signs Ben Lundgaard from ATL UTD 2
- Atlanta United Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule
- Atlanta United unveils "The BLVCK" Kit for 2021 season
- Atlanta United Signs Midfielder Franco Ibarra
- Atlanta United to Unveil New Primary Kit in Advance of Fifth Season