Mueller Scores Eighth of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw to NYCFC
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (8-2-7, 31 points) continued its unbeaten run with a 1-1 draw against New York City FC (8-7-3, 27 points) on Wednesday night at Exploria Stadium, serving as the Club's record 11th-consecutive positive result.
Chris Mueller scored the lone goal for the Lions in the match, his eighth of the year to extend his team-lead. Ruan recorded the assist on the finish in his return to the starting XI for the first time since Sept. 27 against FC Dallas. Two Homegrown products came off the bench for the Lions in the match in midfielders David Loera and Jordan Bender, serving as their second and first MLS appearances, respectively.
Goalkeeper Brian Rowe registered a season-high seven saves for the Lions in the match, besting teammate Pedro Gallese's previous mark of six stops against the Pigeons on July 14 at the MLS is Back Tournament. The start served as Rowe's 100th of his MLS regular-season career and his 34th since joining the Lions ahead of the 2019 season.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
"Well, 30 very good minutes for us in the first half. After that, New York started just getting the ball. We couldn't get the ball back as we used to do and then they started creating some actions there, including the goal. It was a goal that we probably had overconfidence in, but I'm not going to blame the players because what I have preached in this team is to try to play the game. Not just kick and run, we try to play it and sometimes those things happen. We absorb the pain that we get in that goal, when New York scored. The second half was, it was probably a hope that we had during those 45 minutes of creating something and trying to hurt New York, but without consistency and without too many clean sequences, New York did some other actions there that could finish in a win for them. At the end, with the players, we'll take the point. We know how hard it is in the league and how hard that rival is and today, we used to win at home but we'll take that point and think about the next one."
18' Chris Mueller (Ruan) - ORL 1, NYC 0
The Lions took the lead with Ruan cutting past and going by his defender before taking the ball to the endline and teeing up a cross that found the head of Chris Mueller, who hit it home for his eighth finish of the year.
43' Keaton Parks - ORL 1, NYC 1
The Pigeons tied things up just before the halftime break after ValentÃn Castellanos combined with Keaton Parks in the box, whose first shot attempt deflected off of Brian Rowe, but a running Parks was able to follow his effort and slot it into the back of the net to level the match.
The Lions extended their Club-record unbeaten run to 11 matches on the night.
Chris Mueller extended his team-lead in goals scored this season with his eighth of the calendar year and his third against NYCFC.
Ruan recorded his third assist of the year on Mueller's 18th minute finish.
Goalkeeper Brian Rowe made his 100th MLS regular-season start in the match, his second of the year and 34th as a Lion since joining the Club ahead of the 2019 campaign.
Jordan Bender made his MLS debut in the contest, entering the game in second-half stoppage time for Daryl Dike.
David Loera made his second MLS appearance in the match, entering the game in the 76th minute for Joey DeZart.
Joey DeZart recorded his second professional start on the night, appearing in Pareja's starting lineup the last two matches.
Defenders Antonio Carlos and Ruan both made their return to Pareja's starting XI on Wednesday, with the former last starting for the Lions on Sept. 19 against Chicago and the latter on Sept. 27 at FC Dallas.
Next Match: The Lions will head back out on the road to face the New York Red Bulls on Sunday, Sept. 18 with kickoff set for 7 p.m. ET.
Teams 1 2 F
Orlando City SC 1 0 1
New York City FC 1 0 1
ORL - Chris Mueller (Ruan) 18'
NYC - Keaton Parks 43'
ORL - Antonio Carlos (Yellow Card) 3'
NYC - Alexander Ring (Yellow Card) 5'
ORL - Robin Jansson (Yellow Card) 37'
NYC - Anton Tinnerholm (Yellow Card) 45+5'
ORL - Kamal Miller (Yellow Card) 53'
NYC - Keaton Parks (Yellow Card) 82'
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D Kamal Miller, Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Ruan (Alex De John 90+3'); M Chris Mueller (Robinho 84'), Joey DeZart (David Loera 76'), JÃºnior Urso, Andrés Perea; F Nani ©, Daryl Dike (Jordan Bender 90+3')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Mason Stajduhar; D Michael Halliday, Rodrigo Schlegel
New York City FC - GK Sean Johnson; D Gudmundur ThÃ³rainsson, Alexander Callens (Sebastien Ibeagha 90+2'), Maxime Chanot, Anton Tinnerholm; M Keaton Parks (NicolÃ¡s Acevedo 90+2'), Ronald Matarrita, Gary Mackay-Steven (Ismael Tajouri-Shradi 73'), Alexander Ring ©, JesÃºs Medina (Tony Rocha 90+3'); F ValentÃn Castellanos
Substitutes Not Used: GK Luis Barraza, Brad Stuver; D Joe Scally; M Juan Torres
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: October 14, 2020
ORL - 44.7%
NYC - 55.3%
ORL - 9
NYC - 18
ORL - 7
NYC - 1
ORL - 8
NYC - 21
ORL - 1
NYC - 8
Heineken Star of the Match: Chris Mueller
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2020
- Sporting Controversially Denied Late Equalizer in 1-0 Loss at Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Earns Shutout in 1-0 Win against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Nick Hagglund's game-winning goal lifts the Orange and Blue over Columbus - FC Cincinnati
- Mueller Scores Eighth of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw to NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Picks up Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw at Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Impact Felled by Revolution - Club de Foot Montreal
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution Defeat Montreal Impact, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- Fort Lauderdale CF Draws Forward Madison FC 2-2 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United vs. Chicago Fire FC Match Postponed - MLS
- MLS Announces Postponement of Tonight's Chicago Fire FC at Minnesota United FC Match - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United Match Versus Chicago Fire Postponed - Minnesota United FC
- Clement Diop Returns to France for Personal Reasons - Club de Foot Montreal
- Club Statement on Fairgrounds Stadium Ruling - Nashville SC
- RAVE Foundation Celebrates Opening of New Mini Pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac this Friday and Previews Sounders FC VOTE Tour - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Saphir Taider Transferred to Saudi Club Al Ain FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Higuain Brothers Become Latest to Feature on Same MLS Club: MLS Week 18 News & Notes - MLS
- LAFC Acquires 26-year-old Defender Jesus David Murillo - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines: City vs. NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Goalkeeper Beckham Sunderland as a Homegrown Player - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Sign Ralph Priso - Toronto FC
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- Delaware County and Philadelphia Union Host 3-Day Voter Service Center at Subaru Park - Philadelphia Union
- Free Flu Shots Offered Saturday, October 17 at Exposition Park Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face FC Cincinnati Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup Set to be Played in Home Markets; Kickoff Scheduled for April 9
- Exploria Stadium to Host 2022 Special Olympics Opening Ceremony
- Orlando City SC Expands Youth Soccer Commitment and Opportunities with the Launch of New Youth Soccer Network
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin
- Orlando City Selects Forward Derek Dodson in 2021 MLS SuperDraft