RAVE Foundation Celebrates Opening of New Mini Pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac this Friday and Previews Sounders FC VOTE Tour
SEATTLE, WASH. - This Friday, October 16, at 1:00 p.m. PT, Seattle Sounders FC's charitable arm, RAVE Foundation is hosting a virtual grand opening celebration for its newly completed mini pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac, Washington. Valley View Early Learning Center serves approximately 300 children ages three to five with free, state-funded preschool within the Highline School District.
The new playspace marks the fifth mini pitch driven by RAVE and Sounders FC's effort to Defend the Right to Play in marginalized communities in the Puget Sound region, all with the goal of encouraging free play and healthy activity for youth. RAVE Foundation mini pitches are unrentable, meaning they remain open and available at all times to the communities they were built to serve. The Valley View mini pitch is also RAVE's first pitch designed especially for younger children, built on a smaller scale to accommodate the preschool-age groups who will utilize it.
Funded with generous support from Delta Air Lines, Friday's celebration includes participation from RAVE Foundation, Highline Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Susan Enfield, Valley View Elementary School Principal Kim Nelson and Delta Air Lines Vice President, Seattle, Tony Gonchar. Additionally, former Sounder Brad Evans will be on hand to assist selected Valley View preschool students with a ceremonial first goal on the new soccer playspace.
During the opening celebration, RAVE Foundation will also showcase its new First Kicks Physical Literacy program, which is being piloted at Valley View in the near future. First Kicks Physical Literacy is a preschool curriculum developed by RAVE Foundation that aims to give parents with young children at home the tools to foster cognitive development and physical activity using soccer as the tool.
Additionally, October 16 marks the beginning of Washington State's 18-day voting period for the 2020 General Election. As part of its overall social justice framework, Sounders FC believes that voting in every election is necessary to improve the lives of everyone in our community. At Friday's event, the club is announcing its Sounders FC VOTE Tour presented by Starbucks, with Evans previewing the events to come.
Kicking off on October 27 with a celebration at the Starbucks White Center Community Store, the Sounders FC VOTE Tour presented by Starbucks features Evans visiting ballot drop-off locations throughout King County, concentrating on areas identified by King County Elections as those with historically lower voter turnout. Evans will be present at nine different locations over the course of three days, offering physically distant selfies with fans and giving away custom stickers featuring "VOTE" artwork designed for the club by local artist and advocate Teddy "Stat" Phillips. A full list of tour locations, dates and times will be available on October 16 at SoundersFC.com/VOTE.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2020
- Sporting Controversially Denied Late Equalizer in 1-0 Loss at Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Earns Shutout in 1-0 Win against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Nick Hagglund's game-winning goal lifts the Orange and Blue over Columbus - FC Cincinnati
- Mueller Scores Eighth of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw to NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Picks up Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw at Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Impact Felled by Revolution - Montreal Impact
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution Defeat Montreal Impact, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- Fort Lauderdale CF Draws Forward Madison FC 2-2 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United vs. Chicago Fire FC Match Postponed - MLS
- MLS Announces Postponement of Tonight's Chicago Fire FC at Minnesota United FC Match - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United Match Versus Chicago Fire Postponed - Minnesota United FC
- Clement Diop Returns to France for Personal Reasons - Montreal Impact
- Club Statement on Fairgrounds Stadium Ruling - Nashville SC
- RAVE Foundation Celebrates Opening of New Mini Pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac this Friday and Previews Sounders FC VOTE Tour - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Saphir Taider Transferred to Saudi Club Al Ain FC - Montreal Impact
- Higuain Brothers Become Latest to Feature on Same MLS Club: MLS Week 18 News & Notes - MLS
- LAFC Acquires 26-year-old Defender Jesus David Murillo - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines: City vs. NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Goalkeeper Beckham Sunderland as a Homegrown Player - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Sign Ralph Priso - Toronto FC
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- Delaware County and Philadelphia Union Host 3-Day Voter Service Center at Subaru Park - Philadelphia Union
- Free Flu Shots Offered Saturday, October 17 at Exposition Park Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face FC Cincinnati Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - November 28, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case
- Seattle Supports Sounders FC Ahead of Opening Round Playoff Battle against LAFC
- Three Sounders FC Players Named to 2020 MLS Best XI
- Baseball Hall of Famer and Seattle Icon Ken Griffey Jr. and Family Join Sounders FC Ownership Group